Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup with shredded chicken and potato gnocchi is delicious, warming and the ultimate winter comfort food.
When it’s cold outside, there’s just nothing better than a deep bowl filled with warm, creamy soup. And let me tell you, this creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup is the kind of comfort food you’ll crave all too often once you try it.
Gnocchi in soup is not something I’ve actually ever thought of but the moment I made and tasted this soup I knew it was a genius idea. Not only does the gnocchi add creaminess to the soup, the little potato dumplings also soak up all the flavors, making each bite a delight.
This soup will also be great in a slow cooker/crock pot but because it doesn’t take incredibly long to cook, I just make it on the stove in a big pot. And word to the wise: double on this recipe because the leftovers make the very best lunch the next day!
How do you make creamy chicken gnocchi soup?
Start by cooking onions, celery, garlic and the chopped stalks of the broccoli in butter until soft, fragrant and just starting to brown. Add chicken stock/bone broth and the chicken breasts. Poach the breasts until cooked then remove and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the stock with the broccoli florets, cooked gnocchi and cream and allow to simmer until the broccoli is tender. Season to taste (I like adding a spritz of lemon juice to cut through the richness) and serve.
Can you freeze gnocchi soup?
Yes, you definitely can. Cook the soup as per the instructions then freeze in freezer-safe dishes/containers. Remove the soup a day ahead then allow to thaw in the fridge. Pour the thawed soup into a large pot and bring up to heat before serving. For best results, leave the gnocchi and cream out of the soup before freezing then just add as you re-heat the thawed soup as frozen cream can sometimes cause soup/sauces to split.
Can you put gnocchi soup in a slow cooker?
Definitely! Put all the ingredients except for the broccoli florets, gnocchi and cream in the slow cooker/crock pot and cook on high for 3 hours, low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken then add the broccoli florets, gnocchi and cream and allow to cook on high for another 45 minutes-1 hour or until the broccoli is cooked.
How do you make gnocchi from scratch?
Gnocchi is very simple to make. Cooked, mashed potato is combined with flour, egg and salt and kneaded into a smooth dough before being rolled and cut into gnocchi. Homemade gnocchi is delicious with simple sauces but in soup it is best to use shop-bought gnocchi as it is firmer and will hold its shape better. (Try my Parmesan gnocchi for a delicious homemade recipe)
How do you cook packaged gnocchi?
Similarly to pasta, gnocchi is cooked in a big pot of salted boiling water. Once the water comes to a boil, carefully add the gnocchi and allow to cook until the gnocchi begins to float to the surface. Once they are floating, they are cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the sauce of your choice.
What do you eat gnocchi with?
- Slow-braised pork ragu with roasted garlic gnocchi
- Gnocchi Carbonara
- Chicken broccoli gnocchi
- Beef ragu with Parmesan gnocchi
- Baked gnocchi with bacon, tomatoes and mozzarella
- Lamb Ragu with cauliflower gnocchi
Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 small leeks washed and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced/crushed
- 3 cups broccoli stalks removed and finely chopped
- 6 cups/1.5liters chicken stock/bone broth
- 4 chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- 2 bay leaves
- 500 g gnocchi cooked
- ½ cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Melt a tablespoon of butter with a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot then add the onion, leek, celery, broccoli stalks and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until soft, fragrant and starting to brown then add the stock/broth, chicken breasts and bay leaves. Cover and allow to simmer gently until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the soup and shred with two forks. In the meantime, cook the gnocchi in a large pot of salted water.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the soup with the cooked gnocchi, broccoli florets and cream. Allow to simmer until broccoli is cooked then season with salt, pepper and lemon juice before serving.
Mexican chicken soup with charred baby corn