These easy sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches are great to meal-prep ahead and keep in the freezer for busy weekday mornings.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Ground pork / Pork mince.
- Ground beef / Beef mince.
- English muffins.
- Garlic powder.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make easy freezer breakfast sandwiches
- Make the breakfast patties: I decided to make my own breakfast sausage patties with a mixture of ground pork and ground beef (beef and pork mince) and flavored it very simply with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and a little dried oregano. You could easily use ready-made burger patties or buy sausage meat from your local butcher and form them into patties but making the mixture yourself gives you more control and you can customize it to suit your palate and play around with the flavors. Alternatively you can use sliced ham or bacon instead of sausage patties or leave the meat out all together if you want to keep them vegetarian.
- How to make eggs for breakfast sandwiches: I tested this recipe with both omelette-style eggs and fried eggs and the omelette-style are not only easier to make in bulk, but they re-heat a lot better than the fried eggs. The little egg patties are so easy to make and you can choose to do them in the oven or on the stove. Whisk together the eggs and seasoning and cook the mixture in a large frying pan topped with a lid. Once the egg is set slip it out of the pan and use a steel cup measure to cut out rounds of egg. A one cup measure is the perfect size to fit onto English muffins but use any round cutter you have. If you wanted to make loads of sandwiches, you could pour the egg into a greased sheet pan and bake in the oven until set.
- Assembly time: Slice the English muffins in half and toast in a hot pan, cut-size down, until golden brown. Add the cooked sausage patties, a round of egg and a slice of cheese. A few dashes of hot sauce would be delicious too. Wrap the sandwiches first in baking/parchment paper and then in foil before freezing in a freezer-proof container.
- How can I customize these further? The egg part of the breakfast sandwich is so customizable. To make a healthy breakfast sandwich you could add any sauteed veg at this point (peppers, spinach, onions and mushrooms all come to mind). You could also add herbs or spices to change the flavor up a little.
How to re-heat frozen breakfast sandwiches
Remove the foil, place on a plate and re-heat in the microwave from frozen in the parchment paper. Alternatively you can heat the frozen sandwich in the foil at 200°C/400°F for 20-30 minutes until hot throughout.
Easy breakfast recipes
- Healthy blueberry muffins
- Easy breakfast yogurt fruit cups
- Bacon, egg and creamed spinach breakfast toast
- Tropical smoothie breakfast popsicles
Easy freezer breakfast sandwiches
For the breakfast sausage patties
- 250 g ground pork / pork mince
- 250 g ground beef / beef mince
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
For the egg rounds
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp butter
For the breakfast sandwiches
- Sausage patties
- Egg round
- English muffins toasted
- cheese slices
- To make the sausage patties, combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Form 4 patties and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and fry the patties until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- To make the egg, whisk together the egg with the seasonings.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add the butter. Allow to melt.
- Pour in the egg mixture and allow to cook until set through (you can place a lid on the pan and this will aid the cooking).
- Once cooked, slide the egg omelette out of the pan then cut out rounds with a large cookie cutter/round cup measure. Allow to cool.
- Assemble the sandwiches by layering the sausage, egg and cheese onto the toasted English muffins.
- Wrap first in baking/parchment paper and then in foil. Place in a freezer-proof container or freezer bags and place in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- To re-heat remove the foil and place the muffin in the baking paper on a plate. Heat for 2-3 minutes until the sandwich is defrosted and heated through. Serve immediately.