Nutella strawberry hand pies
Heart-shaped Nutella strawberry hand pies are the cutest treat for Valentine’s Day. Made with shop-bought puff pastry, they’re easy too!
You won’t get much cuter than these adorable strawberry hand pies for a Valentine’s treat. And can you just imagine the points you’ll be scoring when you present someone with one (or all…) of these hand pies with their flaky pastry exterior and fresh strawberry and Nutella filling? Um, YUM!
The kids have already asked me to bake these for their Valentine’s picnic at school and I’m sure they are going to be the hit of the day. They’re also perfect for lunchboxes, as an easy Valentine’s day dessert served with a scoop of ice cream or as a teacher gift. I mean, who could resist?
How to make strawberry hand pies
Combine chopped strawberries with sugar and allow to macerate for 10 minutes. Cut 16 heart shapes (I used a heart cookie cutter approximately 10cm in size) out of puff pastry rolled out on a floured surface. Place a spoonful of Nutella in the center of 8 of the hearts then top with a spoonful of the drained strawberry mixture. Brush the edges of the heart with beaten egg then place another heart on top. Make a few cuts to the top pastry to act as vents then brush with the beaten egg. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and puffed.
Can I use other fruit?
Yes! Apples, pears, peaches, cherries, blueberries, nectarines and rhubarb are all excellent in hand pies. It’s a good idea to cook fruit down with a little sugar to make a pie filling. The hand pies cook very quickly so whatever filling you use needs to be already cooked. The filling also can’t be too wet as the juices will run out of the hand pies.
Can I freeze hand pies?
Yes, you can. Simply freeze in a single layer before baking then transfer to a freezer container/bag and freeze for up 2 months. Bake from frozen until golden brown and warmed through.
Fruit pie recipes you will love:
- Classic apple pie with cinnamon cream
- Mixed berry lattice pie
- Banoffee pie with white chocolate mousse
- Apple pie with salted caramel
Nutella strawberry hand pies
- 2 cups strawberries chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 rolls Frozen puff pastry thawed
- 8 tsp Nutella
- 1 egg beaten
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Combine the strawberries and sugar and mix well. Allow to sit for 10 minutes for the strawberries to macerate and release their juices. Drain well.
- Roll the puff pastry out onto a floured surface then using a heart-shaped cookie cutter (approximately 10cm/4 inches), cut out 16 hearts.
- Place a teaspoon of Nutella followed by a teaspoon or two of the strawberry mixture onto the center of 8 pastry hearts. Brush around the edges with beaten egg then cover with another pastry heart.
- Crimp edges with a fork then brush the tops with egg. Cut a few slits into the top of each heart then place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before dusting with icing sugar (optional) and serving.