The perfect cocktail to celebrate Spring (or let’s be honest, any day) this blushing strawberry gin and tonic is a total crowd pleaser.
A good G&T is a fantastic cocktail most of the time but this strawberry gin and tonic with fresh strawberry syrup is the ultimate cocktail to celebrate the abundance of fresh strawberries that are around during Spring/Summer.
I love making fruit syrups/purees to serve with cocktails especially as they work equally well in non-alcoholic cocktails. It’s also a great way to preserve fruit that is in season as the syrups can be kept covered in the fridge for up to a month. Simply cook down fresh fruit of your choice with sugar, water and lemon juice and you have a delicious addition to cocktails.
How to make gin and tonic?
Fill glasses with ice then add a shot (50ml/ 1.5fl oz) good quality gin. Pour in a shot of syrup/fruit puree if using then top with cold tonic water. Add garnishes and serve.
What garnish do you use for a gin and tonic?
The classic garnish for gin and tonic is a twist of lemon rind but herbs like rosemary, thyme, basil and mint all work well as well thin slices of cucumber and fruit like strawberries, blueberries and orange.
What type of glass should a gin and tonic be served in?
A large stemmed wine glass/gin glass is popular but any glass will work. Tumblers and high ball glasses work very well
- Grapefruit gin spritz
- Gin cocktail with lemon & honey cordial
- Passionfruit & Ginger cocktail
- Fresh grapefruit and ginger paloma
- Fresh pineapple and passionfruit mojito
- Easy Margaritas for a crowd
Blushing strawberry gin and tonic
For the strawberry syrup
- 2 cups strawberries chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the strawberry gin and tonic
- 300 ml gin (10 fl oz)
- tonic water
- strawberry syrup
- ice for serving
- fresh strawberries for garnish
- mint leaves for garnish
- fresh lavender for garnish
- To make the strawberry syrup, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes then blend with a hand blender until smooth. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the gin and tonic, fill glasses with ice then add one shot of gin followed by a shot of strawberry syrup. Top up with cold tonic water then add garnishes of your choice and serve.