Easy one bowl chocolate cupcakes
These easy one bowl chocolate cupcakes are rich, moist and delicious topped with swirls of rich, fudgy dark chocolate buttercream frosting.
You guys. This is my best chocolate cupcake recipe, like ever. It is SO easy (hence the title) and delivers perfect, rich-in-chocolate moist cupcakes every single time. It is my fail-safe recipe and I am finally sharing it with you.
What I love so much about these chocolate cupcakes is that the batter literally needs one bowl, a whisk and a set of measuring cups. That’s it. (I’ve included the measurements in weight as well if you prefer to be more precise.) It’s pretty important to use good quality cocoa because we’re not adding any actual chocolate to the batter. Good cocoa will deliver a cupcake rich in chocolate flavour and that’s exactly what we want.
If you want to stick to the “one-bowl” vibes, give the bowl a quick rinse-out before you start with the frosting but I don’t mind the second bowl because a) I think my stand-alone mixer makes the most excellently fudge frosting and b) I LOVE keeping a little of the frosting for myself because, um, HI licking the bowl!
Anyway, if you don’t have a mixer or don’t want to use yours, you can definitely make this with a handheld mixer. I wouldn’t attempt doing it by because a mixer (handheld or stand-alone) can whip the living daylights out of the buttercream and you want that lovely light, whipped texture. Top the cooled cupcakes with this super fudgy chocolate buttercream frosting and then decorate to your heart’s desire.
I used crushed malted chocolate balls (Chuckles/Maltesers/Whispers) but feel free to add chocolate shavings, sprinkles or fresh berries. And then give them all away quickly because these chocolate cupcakes are so good, you’re not going to be able to stop at only one.
Easy one-bowl chocolate cupcakes
- 200g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 175g (1 and 1/2 cups) flour
- 50g (1/2 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 extra-large egg
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 75ml (¼ cup and 1 tbsp) melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml (½ cup) boiling water (you can also use coffee)
For the chocolate buttercream frosting
- 125g (1 stick) Butter, softened
- 400g (5-6 cups) icing/powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 100g (3.5oz) dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp cold, strong coffee
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºc. Grease and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add the egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract and combine with the dry ingredients. Beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add the boiling water and mix until combined.
- Distribute the batter between the cupcake liners and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the icing, beat the butter until light and fluffy then add the icing sugar and cocoa powder and beat until well incorporated. Add the coffee, melted chocolate and 1 tbsp of milk and beat until light and fluffy. You might need more milk to reach the desired consistency.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate and serve.
Have you tried this chocolate cupcake recipe? Please leave a comment and rate the recipe below.