Juicy oven baked pork chops with an aromatic brown sugar rub are perfect for a simple weeknight dinner served with your favorite side dishes.
Table of Contents
- Pork chops. I used bone-in pork chops but boneless pork chops will also work.
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Spices: I used smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder but other herbs and seasoning like curry powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, thyme and sage are all delicious with pork.
- Brown sugar.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to bake pork chops in the oven
To ensure succulent, juicy pork chops, I would suggest baking at the highest heat your oven goes to with the broiler on. Pork is a relatively quick-cooking protein and too much time in the oven will dry them out.
Combine all the spices in a small bowl and mix well. Drizzle the olive oil over the pork chops and season generously with the spice mixture on both sides. Place the chops in a baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet then place on the highest rack in the oven and bake for 2-3 minutes then flip over and bake for another 2-3 minutes or until the pork is cooked through.
When are pork chops done?
Pork chops are done when the internal temperature reaches 145°/62°C on a meat thermometer. Remember to allow the meat to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow the juices to redistribute into the meat.
At 480°F/250°C, under the broiler, pork chops will take 6-8 minutes to be cooked perfectly (depending on thickness).
There are a few ways to make sure pork chops are tender and juicy once cooked. Using thick-cut pork chops means the pork cooks to a golden brown on the outside without overcooking on the inside. You could also brine the pork chops overnight in the fridge. It’s essential to rest pork chops for a few minutes after cooking to allow the juices to re-distribute back into the meat.
Pork Chop Recipes
Oven Baked Pork Chops
- 4 5oz/150g bone-in pork chops
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 480°F/250°C and switch on the broiler/grill of your oven.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl and mix well.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the pork chops and season generously with the spice mixture on both sides.
- Place the chops in a baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place on the highest rack in the oven and bake for 2-3 minutes then flip over and bake for another 2-3 minutes or until the pork is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.