Broccoli seasoned with chilli flakes and garlic before being roasted until just crispy is a delicious and easy side dish recipe the family will love.
Roasted broccoli is by far the side dish I make most often. It’s just so easy. Plus it goes with everything. Whether you’re serving chicken, fish, lamb, beef or pork, oven roasted broccoli is a delicious and healthy side dish. I like to prepare it ahead and just keep it covered before placing in a hot oven to roast until the edges start to crisp and the broccoli is fully cooked. Finish with a spritz of lemon and you’re good to go!
How to roast broccoli
Preheat oven. Combine broccoli florets or tenderstem broccoli/broccolini with a few tablespoons of olive oil, chilli/ red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss to coat the broccoli. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet then place in the hot oven. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked and starting to crisp. Remove from the oven, drizzle over fresh lemon juice and serve warm.
Can you roast frozen broccoli?
Frozen broccoli might not crisp up the same way fresh broccoli does but it will be delicious nonetheless. Prepare the frozen broccoli exactly the same as fresh and roast for a little longer until cooked to your preference.
What to serve with roasted broccoli
- Cheesy broccoli bake
- Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- Creamy lemon broccoli pasta
- Crispy chicken thighs on cheesy broccoli rice
Easy spicy garlic roasted broccoli
- 500 g (1lb) broccoli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli / red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- lemon juice for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Place broccoli in a large mixing bowl and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Season with chilli flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss well.
- Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Allow to roast for 20-30 minutes until the garlic is cooked through and starting to crisp around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with lemon juice before serving.