Poison Toffee Apples for Halloween

In Dessert, Snacks, Videos

Get all our recipes sent to you for FREE!
Email address
First Name

These black Poison toffee/candy apples are the ultimate wickedly sinister Halloween treat and will make an excellent centerpiece.

Poison toffee apple

As a child, eating a toffee/candy apple was the ultimate delight. I never felt guilty because well, it’s an apple! Yes, it has tons of sugar around it but who cares? It’s fruit! I would always crack the candy coating on the table because it was just too hard to bite through and I loved how it always made me feel so jolly when I ate it. And I now see that same joy on my kids’ faces when they eat them.

Making them is equally fun. Even more fun when they candy coating is a glossy, sinister black. They remind me of something Maleficent would serve. Just perfect for Halloween. I have made a whole batch and have wrapped them in cellophane, ready to give to the trick-or-treaters who have become a fun addition in the last few years. As South Africans, Halloween is not a holiday we normally celebrate but I just love the dressing up and the festivity of it all. These apples make a beautiful center piece and will add the appropriate amount of wickedness to your party.

Poison toffee apples

How do I make candy apples?

Toffee/Candy apples are actually very easy to make but because it involves working with caramel (boiling sugar), people can often be discouraged.

My recipe involves boiling sugar, water, corn syrup and black food coloring together until it’s reached the hard crack stage (150ºC/310ºF on a candy thermometer). To check if you’ve reached hard crack stage without a candy thermometer, simply drop a little of the boiling sugar mixture into a glass of ice cold water. The sugar should form hard, brittle threads. Carefully dip the apples into the caramel mixture and allow to cool and harden. Make sure you have everything ready before you start so that you don’t have to rush to skewer the apples once the caramel is cooked.

What is the best apple to use for candy apples?

Granny Smith apples are perfect for toffee/candy apples. Their tart, crispness works very well with the sugary sweetness of the candy coating.

Can you put candy apples in the fridge?

You can, but it’s not recommended. The candy coating can start to sweat in the fridge and can slide off the apple. Rather wrap the cooled, hardened candy apples in cellophane and tie well to prevent any oxygen from getting to the apples. This way they will last up to 3-5 days at room temperature. The best way to prevent oxygenation though is to coat the apples and the entry point of the skewer into the apple completely in the candy coating. This way they can last up for 10 days.

Poison toffee apples

4.14 from 22 votes
Poison Toffee Apples for Halloween
Prep Time
5 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
25 mins

These black Poison toffee apples are the ultimate wickedly sinister Halloween treat and will make an excellent centerpiece.
Course: candy, Halloween, Sweets
Servings: 6 -12 apples
Author: Alida Ryder
Ingredients
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cups water
  • 1/2 cup liquid glucose/light corn syrup
  • few drops black gel food colouring
  • 6 Granny Smith apples or 12 small apples (Ensure your apples are fresh and haven't been waxed)
Instructions
  1. Grease a piece of baking paper and place on a tray/baking sheet.
  2. Insert bamboo skewers in all the apples and set aside.
  3. In a medium pot, combine the sugar, water, glucose/corn syrup and food colouring and stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture feels smooth when you rub it between your fingers.
  4. When the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up and wash the sides of the pot down with a pastry brush dipped into clean water to prevent crystals from forming.
  5. Allow the caramel to boil until it reaches the hard crack stage (150°c/310°F on a candy thermometer).
  6. Carefully dip the apples into the hot candy mixture and place on the baking paper to set and cool for approximately an hour before serving.

Halloween treat recipes

Mummy berry handpies for Halloween

Halloween mummy berry handpies

Halloween candy bark

Halloween candy bark

Jack-o’-lantern pot pie

Jack-o'-lantern pot pie

Mummies-in-a-blanket

mummies-in-a-blanket

Previous Post
Next Post

Thanks for your comment. I’ve never made them with less corn syrup so I can’t verify if this will work but if anyone would like to give it a try, they’re welcome to!

• Meg

How long do these keep for? I am having a party and I want to do these cause they are wickedly cool, but I want to do it the day before the party. Will they stay fresh in the fridge?

Meg, I would wrap them in cellophane and just keep them on your kitchen counter. Putting them in the fridge will cause the candy layer to start sweating and it might start pulling away from the apples. Because the candy layer preserves the apple in a way, they will be fine on your kitchen counter but be sure to cover them as they can draw moisture from the air and become tacky.

• nikki

Is there a way to make it so it doesn’t break a tooth when biting into it? These look so cool, but I do not want my family biting into them thinking its like caramel and its a hard rock. so is there a way to make sure it doesn’t get rock hard?

Nikki, these are candy apples so the outside is meant to be really hard. If it doesn’t harden it will just be like syrup and won’t cling to the apple. I would just tell your family to be careful but really, we’ve eaten these many times and never have we broken a tooth while doing so.

• nikki

ok thank you. My family has really sensitive teeth and really fragile teeth (I do not have kids but my mother and my stepfather are who I am talking about and myself) thank you for your response. 🙂

• TeeTee

Decrease the amount of corn syrup and they won’t be so hard to bite into. I make them frequently and 1/8 to 1/4 cup of syrup is perfect. 1/2 cup makes them way too hard.

*snort*

• CT

Because the hard crack stage requires intervention…

• Christa

You said to cook to 310 – hard crack? Isn’t that like peanut brittle? Don’t you want it to be creamier – like caramel?

Yep, that’s correct. These are candy apples so the coating needs to be hard like candy.

• Carla

I want to make these and use them for a center piece… What I’d like to know is…. Can you also use the candy ingredients to make like rock candy and pour it out on a cookie sheet lined with spayed paper. Then break apart after it hardens? I like to do some black, deep blood red and some mixed to throw around the outer edges of the apples.

Carla, that is a fabulous idea and yes, it will definitely work. It will go rock hard like a proper candy. Please tweet/Instagram a photo and tag me in it when you have done this. I’d love to see it. Twitter: @SimplyDelishSA Instagram: @alidaryder

Mandy, I actually can’t remember but I don’t think they did. It all depends on the type of colouring you use. The gel colouring I use don’t often cause stains unless you get it on your skin in its pure form.

• Mandy

Do these turn your mouth black when you eat them? They look great.

• […] of creepy Halloween foods, this poison toffee apple recipe from Simply Delicious Food looks like a candidate for a Snow White p… The ghouls and goblins are sure to devour these treats and maybe even play dead […]

• […] These are wicked! It takes a lot for me to use that phrase on them, but they are. Toffee and black combined make me a happy girl. I will be giving these a try during my apple-paloza I’m planning for in October. If you want the goods on how to make these, head over to the beautiful blog Simply Delicious. […]