Juicy seared cooked in Puttanesca sauce with olives, capers and fresh basil is a delicious, easy dinner recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes.
Table of Contents
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Anchovy fillets.
- Chilli flakes/red pepper flakes.
- Chopped tomatoes. I used canned tomatoes but you can use fresh, seasonal tomatoes too. If you can find San Marzano tomatoes, I would highly suggest using them as their flavor is unmatched.
- Pitted olives. I used Kalamata olives but use any olives of your choice.
- White fish. Halibut, hake, kingklip, cod, bass, snapper, etc.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Fresh basil, to serve. Fresh parsley can be substituted.
- Fresh chilli, optional.
How to make Puttanesca sauce
In a large skillet or pan set over medium high heat, heat the olive oil then cook the sliced garlic, anchovies and chilli flakes for a minute until fragrant. Pour in the tomatoes and stir in the olives and capers. Season to taste with salt and pepper then allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes. At this stage the puttanesca sauce can be served with pasta or you can serve it with any protein of your choice. I seared fish in the pan before making the tomato sauce but you can make Chicken Puttanesca, Shrimp Puttanesca, etc. with this sauce recipe.
How to make Pasta Puttanesca
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then add pasta of your choice. Spaghetti, linguine, etc. all work well. Add the pasta to the boiling water then cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving a cup of the water, then toss the pasta with the sauce. Add a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water and serve.
Can I make this ahead?
This puttanesca sauce recipe is a delicious make-ahead recipe. The sauce can be made a week in advance and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. It freezes well too and can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Easy fish recipes
Seared fish in Puttanesca sauce
- 800 g (1½lb) white fish fillets
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 4 anchovy fillets
- ½ tsp chilli flakes / red pepper flakes
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup pitted olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- fresh basil to serve
- fresh chillies to serve (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the fish with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the fish to the pan and sear for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil then add the sliced garlic, anchovy fillets and chilli flakes and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and stir in the olives and capers. Add half a cup of water and season with salt and pepper then simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the fish and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Scatter over fresh basil and chopped chillies (optional) and serve.