Lemon butter baked fish is the perfect, easy sheet pan dinner recipe. Baked with asparagus and a delicious lemon butter sauce this is a gluten-free and keto friendly recipe the whole family will love.
This easy baked fish recipe has become a firm favorite in our family. It’s delicious, healthy and perfect for nights when you need dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. Sheet pan dinners are a trusted staple in most busy households because you can make a full, nutritious meal for your family with minimal dishes to deal with and very little effort.
Baking the fish with the lemon butter sauce and asparagus means you can add one more side dish (if you wish) or keep it as it is for a light, gluten-free and low carb dinner.
How to make lemon butter baked fish
Add butter, garlic and lemon juice to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is fragrant then set aside. Line a sheet pan with parchment/baking paper. Add de-boned fish fillets and asparagus (green beans, sugar snap peas or broccoli can be substituted). Pour the lemon butter sauce over the fish and asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated oven until the fish and asparagus are cooked through. (Full recipe in recipe card below.)
What kind of fish can be baked?
Most fish bake very well but for this recipe any white fish will work:
How long should you cook fish in the oven?
In a 200ºC/400ºF pre-heated oven, fish fillets should take no longer than 10-12 minutes to cook. Cooking time will depend on size and thickness of fillets. Fish is cooked when it can easily flake apart and the flesh is opaque.
- Crispy fish tacos with hot sauce crema
- White wine garlic salmon
- Chunky fish fingers with cheat’s lemon aioli
What to serve with baked fish
Easy lemon butter baked fish
- 800 g/1,7lbs White fish, boned (Approximately 200g/7oz per person)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried oregano/thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- asparagus washed and trimmed
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF and line a sheet pan with parchment/baking paper.
- Combine the butter, lemon, garlic and herbs in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant then remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the fish and asparagus onto the lined sheet pan then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the lemon butter sauce over the fish and asparagus and top the fish with lemon slices (optional).
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the fish and asparagus are cooked. Fish is cooked when it flakes easily and the flesh is opaque, white throughout.
- Remove from the oven and serve.