This Cajun air fryer fish recipe is so quick and easy to make. It delivers juicy, tender fish that is seasoned perfectly and makes a fantastic healthy, gluten-free dinner served with your favorite side dishes.
Table of Contents
This recipe is fuss-free with no dipping in flour or dredging in bread crumbs. The only step is to make a seasoning oil with Cajun seasoning and a few extra spices to brush over the fish. This delivers a much lighter main dish that is high in protein in low in carbs.
- Fresh fish fillets. Use any sustainable white fish. I used hake but halibut, cod, tilapia, bass, grouper, haddock, snapper or catfish will all work well.
- Olive oil. Vegetable oil like avocado oil is a good substitution.
- Cajun seasoning/Cajun spice. Most supermarkets will have a cajun spice blend in their spice aisle.
- Smoked paprika.
- Garlic powder. Onion powder can also be used.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to cook air fryer fish
Slice the fish into portions then place in the air fryer basket. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings together then spoon over the fish. I don’t usually add parchment paper to the basket but you can if you’re worried about the fish sticking. You can also spray the basket with cooking spray or olive oil. Air fry for 8-10 minutes at 200°C/400°F until the fish is caramelized on the outside and opaque and juicy on the inside. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish but generally fish is cooked when it flakes apart easily and a fork can be inserted without any resistance. Remove from the air fryer then serve with lemon wedges.
What to serve with fish
This easy fish recipe is great served with a simple salad and lemon wedges or air fryer/oven baked chips but a dipping sauce like tartar sauce will also be perfect.
Can I make this ahead?
The fish can be cooked and cooled then transferred to an airtight container and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the air fryer. Same goes for any leftovers. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the cooked fish but fresh fish can be brushed with the cajun oil and frozen for up to 3 months before cooking.
Air fryer recipes
- 800 g (1½lb) fresh fish fillets I used hake but any white fish will work.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice the fish into portions then place in the air fryer basket.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil, spices and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Spoon the cajun-spiced oil over the fish, coating each piece thoroughly.
- Air fry the fish at 200?/400? for 8-10 minutes until the fish is caramelized on the outside and opaque and fork tender on the inside.
- Remove the fish from the air fryer and serve with lemon wedges and side dishes of your choice.