Sticky baklava rolls
These sticky baklava rolls is a delicious sweet treat loaded with brown sugar, cinnamon and pecan nuts. The sticky syrup takes it over the top.
There are a few desserts I always swoon over. Crème brûlée, Tiramisu, Apple tarte tatin and Baklava. These are the desserts I will order, no matter how much I’ve already eaten. They are classics and when done right, are the most delicious things you will ever eat.
I made these sticky baklava rolls a while ago when I had a serious craving for cinnamon rolls. I wanted sticky, sweet, cinnamony goodness all wrapped up in a soft doughy bun. Drooool! I used my doughnut dough (full recipe and video) because it’s honestly such a versatile, fantastic dough and works perfectly for sticky buns/rolls. I filled the dough generously (understatement of the year) with butter, soft brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans before rolling and slicing. I baked them off while making the delicious baklava syrup flavoured with honey, vanilla and cinnamon before pouring the syrup over the baklava rolls the moment they came out of the oven. This allows the rolls to soak up all that delicious syrup and you guys. It was honestly such a triumph.
These sticky baklava rolls were gobbled up in mere minutes so be warned: they are totally addictive.
Sticky baklava rolls
For the Baklava rolls
- 1 x quantity dough
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup pecan nuts roughly chopped
for the syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cinnamon stick
- Make the dough per instructions and allow to rise.
- When the dough has had its first rise, press it out onto a floured surface to approximately 1-2cm thick.
- Spread the butter over the surface of the dough then top with the brown sugar, spices and pecans.
- Roll the dough tightly into a long sausage shape then slice into rolls (approximately 5cm thick).
- Place the rolls into a non-stick baking dish then allow to rise for 20-30 minutes until you pre-heat the oven to 180ºc.
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes or until puffed, golden and cooked through.
- In the meantime, combine all the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes until reduced.
- Pour the hot syrup over the baklava rolls when the come out of the oven and allow to cool for an hour.