Table of Contents
- 0.1 Use the bounty of fresh vegetables from the farmers market in this fantastic salad with buffalo mozzarella and a zesty lemon dressing.
- 1 How to make easy farmers market salad
- 2 Farmers market salad with buffalo mozzarella
Use the bounty of fresh vegetables from the farmers market in this fantastic salad with buffalo mozzarella and a zesty lemon dressing.
I have been craving fresh, crunchy salads all week this week. Strange too since we are getting ready for a serious cold front hitting soon, but then again, I do this every year. When the temperature dips, I crave summer foods. I know, it’s so weird.
Anyway, over the weekend when I did my meal planning for the week, I had a serious craving for a super fresh farmers market salad abundant with fresh produce. And yes, most people wouldn’t have access to seriously good fresh produce in winter but luckily for us, we have very mild winters and we still have access to pretty good tomatoes, corn, etc. in winter.
Of course, they’re never quite as good as summer produce but I made do. A little trick is to leave tomatoes that aren’t at their prime out on the counter (which is where I keep my tomatoes anyway) so they have a little more time to mature in flavour. It really does make a difference. The mixed tomatoes were bought from a supermarket but the beautiful avos, corn and a very beautiful bunch of fresh basil were all bought at my local Saturday morning market.
To keep the salad as simple as possible, I quickly blanched the corn (but feel free to keep it raw if you’re corn is in its prime) and simply sliced and chopped the remaining vegetables. I added some buffalo mozzarella because I simply love having big chunks of the milky cheese with salad. A simple lemon dressing finished my farmers market salad beautifully.
How to make easy farmers market salad
Farmers market salad with buffalo mozzarella
- 3 cups mixed tomatoes halved/chopped
- 1 English cucumber roughly chopped
- 2 avocados peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 ears of corn blanched and kernels sliced off
- baby gem lettuce leaves
- fresh basil leaves
- buffalo mozzarella
for the lemon dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ clove garlic crushed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Arrange all the salad ingredients on a serving plate.
- Break open the mozzarella and place in the center.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper and pour over the salad.
- Serve immediately.
- (Salad can be made up to an hour in advance, dress just before serving)