Summer fruit salad packed with juicy, ripe and colorful fruit dressed in a zingy lime-mint dressing makes the perfect easy, healthy breakfast with yogurt or dessert served with whipped cream.
What to put in fruit salad
Use any fresh fruit that you love or have. A selection of seasonal fruit is always a good ideas as the fruit will be at their best. Try to include as many colors as you can.
- Watermelon / Cantaloupe / other melons
- Berries – Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
- Stonefruit – Plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries
- Kiwi fruit
- Citrus – Orange, clementine, grapefruit
- Passion fruit / Granadilla
How to make fruit salad
- Prepare the fruit: Peel any fruit that needs to be peeled (mangoes, pineapple, kiwi, watermelon/other melon, citrus, bananas). Chop the fruit into bite sized pieces. Large fruit like melons, mangoes and pineapple can be chopped into cubes. Berries, kiwi and stone fruit can be cut into halves, quarters or wedges, depending on their size.
- Salad dressing: Mix the citrus juice, honey and mint together in a bowl. Taste and adjust as necessary. You want to dressing to be sweet with good tartness to balance the sweetness of the fruit.
- Assemble: Place all the chopped fruit in a large bowl. Pour over the dressing then lightly toss, taking care not to bruise the fruit. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to an hour. If making this salad ahead, leave apples, pears and bananas out and add them right before serving.
How to keep fruit salad fresh?
Keep fruit salad fresh by covering it tightly with plastic wrap or in an airtight container and storing in the fridge. Any dressing will soften the fruit so only dress right before serving.
How to keep apples and bananas from turning brown
Add a few teaspoons of fresh lemon juice to fruit salad to prevent apples and bananas from oxidizing and turning brown.
How to serve summer fruit salad
- For breakfast with thick Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey
- As a simple dessert with vanilla bean ice cream
- As a quick and healthy snack.
Summer fruit salad with lime-mint dressing
- 1 large pineapple peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 ripe mangoes peeled and chopped
- 2 cups grapes sliced, if preferred
- 2 cups strawberries hulled and halved
- 2 cups raspberries
- 3 kiwi fruit peeled and chopped
- 2 bananas sliced
for the lime-mint dressing
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon mint finely chopped
- ½-1 teaspoon honey optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the banana just before serving to prevent browning.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour over the salad just before serving.