This glorious sun-dried tomato basil mozzarella pastry wreath is such a great appetizer for everything from Festive parties to Game Day feasting.
Last year when I posted my Cranberry and Brie puff pastry wreath , I loved the idea of the pastry wreath SO much, I knew I would be doing more flavours throughout the year. And boy did I. This pastry wreath was made in every flavour-combo you can imagine through the year and all of them were absolutely fantastic. Because what isn’t delicious wrapped in pastry?!
One of my favs was this sun-dried tomato basil mozzarella pastry wreath with all of the ooey-gooey cheese. It’s that classic Caprese thing we all know and love and it just works so incredibly well. It’s also a very safe option because it has some pizza-vibes going and no-one can resist that, can they?
I also love this one because it’s not AS festive as the Cranberry-brie version so it’s more evergreen and can be used for Game Day snacking, as a chic appetizer throughout the year and will be perfect as a fancypants lunch with a zest green salad.
A few notes on this recipe:
- Make sure the pesto you use is quite dry (it’s best to make your own for this if you can’t find a drier shop-bought version). The oilier the pesto, the more oil will cook out of the pastry wreath and you might be left with a soggy-oily mess.
- Use dry mozzarella. The fresh stuff has no place here. You want the type of mozzarella that you can grate easily. Fresh mozzarella will again result in a lot of moisture and that = soggy pastry mess.
- Ditto for the sun-dried tomatoes. Make sure you get as much of the oil off them as possible, I just lay them on a few layers of kitchen towel/paper to absorb the excess.
Sun-dried tomato basil wreath
- 1 roll puff pastry thawed
- 4 tbsp basil pesto see note above
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes chopped (see note above)
- 1 egg beaten
- fresh basil to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the pastry out to around 5mm thick and cut a large circle out of the pastry.
- Lay the pastry on the prepared baking sheet.
- Mark a circle with a medium-sized bowl and with a sharp knife, cut 4 cuts into the center circle. (As demonstrated in the video.)
- Spread the pesto around the star then add the mozzarella cheese and sundried tomatoes.
- Bring one point of the star over the filling while simultaneously bringing the outer edge inwards. Brush with a little beaten egg and pinch together.
- Continue until all the points of the star have been connected to the outer edge of the pastry.
- Brush with egg wash and place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked through
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.