This ice cream cake recipe is an absolute show-stopper. Filled with Mint-crisp chocolate, caramel (dulce de leche) and cookies, it’s a guaranteed hit.
Peppermint crisp tart is a South African favourite. Layers of Tennis Biscuits (coconut-flavoured cookies), tinned caramel treat (pretty much dulce de leche in a can) and glorious Peppermint Crisp chocolate. It’s always a crowd favourite and perfect to bring to any gatherings because it’s so easy to make ahead.
It’s the kind of dessert that even non-dessert-eaters love and that’s why I decided to use those flavours I love so much in this ice cream cake recipe.
I absolutely love making ice cream cakes in December/around Christmas time. Not only do my guests always love them, it’s also the perfect easy make-ahead dessert recipe. I can make it up to a month (yes really) in advance and know that it’s right there waiting for me when I’m ready to serve dessert. What’s not to love?
This version with its layers of cookies, caramel and Peppermint crisp chocolate is just drool-worthy. I guarantee your guests will ask for seconds!
Mint crisp caramel ice cream cake
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream softened slightly
- 3 cups caramel treat/dulce de leche
- ½ cup whipping/heavy cream
- 2 large bars Peppermint crisp chocolate crushed
- 200 g tennis biscuits/thin cookies of your choice
- Whisk together the caramel treat/dulce de leche and cream.
- Stir together the vanilla ice cream, 1/3 of the caramel mixture and 2/3 of the peppermint crisp chocolate.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of the Peppermint crisp chocolate.
- Line a standard-size loaf pan with plastic wrap then layer the ice cream, cookies and caramel. Close tightly with the plastic wrap then place in the freezer and allow to freeze for at least 4 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the ice cream cake from the freezer and allow to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes then remove from the plastic wrap. Place on a serving tray then pour over more caramel (optional) and the remaining peppermint crisp chocolate
- Slice and serve.
Salted caramel and chocolate ice cream bombe
Peppermint crisp tart and ice cream together? The food gods are smiling down upon us.
This is the perfect dessert for our South African Christmas celebrations.
Totally! Nothing better on a hot Christmas Day than this ice cream cake!
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen
What a decadent dessert Alida! This would fly off the platter around here! My son Casey and my husband would LOVE it! Me too!
Thanks Mary Ann! It’s a goodie!
Do you mean you wrap the cake? Like roll it? It says “close tightly” and I’m not 100% on what that means, sorry. Thank you.
If you watch the video you’ll see I wrap it in cling wrap in the loaf tin.