This sun-dried tomato pesto pasta salad is a delicious, easy summer side dish or simple, vegetarian lunch or dinner plus it can be made ahead!
How to make pesto pasta salad
Cook any short pasta shape of your choice (penne, macaroni, fusilli or small shells) in a big pot of salted water then drain and allow to cool. Make the sun-dried tomato pesto by combining sun-dried tomatoes in the oil they come in with garlic, basil, Parmesan, garlic and almonds. Blend until smooth. Combine the cooked pasta with the pesto, baby spinach leaves, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, cubed feta cheese, pitted olives and cherry tomatoes and toss.
How long does pasta salad last?
Depending on the dressing and ingredients, pasta salad can last up to 3 or 4 days covered in the fridge. Mayonnaise-based dressings or salads containing eggs are best eaten within 2 days.
What to serve with pasta salad
- Easy lemon-garlic lamb chops
- Mayonnaise grilled rosemary garlic steak
- Lemon herb chicken breasts
- Pulled pork in BBQ sauce with home-made Coleslaw
Sun-dried tomato pesto pasta salad
For the sun-dried tomato pesto
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes + 2 tbsp of the oil it comes in
- ¼ cup blanched almonds
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp water (to thin the pesto out)
For the pasta salad
- 500 g (1lb) cooked short pasta
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup pitted olives
- 1 cup feta cheese cubed
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- To make the pesto: Combine all the ingredients, except for the water, in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time until your desired consistency is reached.
- To make the pasta salad: Combine the cooked pasta with the pesto, spinach, tomatoes, feta and olives. Season to taste and toss until well combined. Serve.
Pasta salad recipes
Easy creamy curried macaroni salad
Greek orzo salad with grilled chicken
Great pasta salad recipe, loved the sundried tomato pesto!!
So glad you liked it Joanna!
Perfect pasta salad. Loved the sundried tomato pesto.
So happy to hear that Tess. 🙂
Such a delicious salad. We served it with Italian marinated chicken and it was a great meal.
That sounds fantastic!