Juicy lemon herb chicken breasts are the perfect easy protein and perfect for quick cooking. The lemon herb marinade is easy and is delicious with chicken.
Chicken breast recipes are a dime a dozen on the internet but if you’re looking for an easy, simple and drop-dead-delicious way to cook chicken breasts quickly, you’ve found it! These lemon herb chicken breasts are a regular in our house because they are so good and they are so versatile. Serve them as is with sides of your choice, slice them and serve on salads or sandwiches or use them in tacos and quesidillas.
How to cook chicken breast
To make sure chicken breast is juicy and delicious, make sure to marinade them in a punchy, herb-filled marinade for at least 20 minutes but up to 24 hours. You can also freeze them in the marinade to speed up meal prep. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, mixed dried herbs, fresh thyme, lemon zest and garlic. Place the skinless, boneless chicken breasts in between two layers of parchment/baking paper and flatten them out slightly with a meat mallet or rolling pin. By doing this you are making sure the chicken is all one thickness and you’re also tenderizing the meat slightly.
Place the chicken in a glass container and pour over the marinade. Cover and marinate for at least 20 minutes. Make sure the skillet, pan or grill you are using is pre-heated then cook the chicken for 3-5 minutes per side (depending on thickness) until cooked through. Allow the chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute in the meat before slicing and serving.
How long to cook chicken breasts
Chicken breasts are cooked when the interior temperature is 75ºC/165ºF. I prefer to remove chicken breasts from the heat when it is around 68ºC/154ºF as it will continue cooking as it rests. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, slice into the thickest part of the chicken breast, if the meat is opaque and white throughout, the breasts are cooked.
Easy side dishes for chicken
- Pea and feta quinoa salad
- Almond, lemon and parsley pilaf rice
- Easy oven baked fries
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Blue cheese avocado strawberry salad
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Lemon risotto
- Cheesy broccoli rice
- Summer grilled corn salad
Lemon herb chicken breasts
- 4 large chicken breasts (skinless + boneless)
For the lemon herb marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli/red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- Place the chicken breasts between two layers of parchment/baking paper and flatten out slightly with a meat mallet/rolling pin.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Place the chicken in a glass container and pour over the marinade. Mix to make sure the chicken is well-coated then cover and allow to marinade for at least 20 minutes but up to 24 hours, refrigerated.
- To cook the chicken breasts, heat a skillet, pan or grill then add the chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes per side (depending on thickness) until cooked through but still juicy.
- Remove from the heat and cover with foil, allowing the chicken to rest for at 5-10 minutes before serving.