Steak & Mushroom Pot Pies

Home / Recipes / Dinner/Supper / Steak & Mushroom Pot Pies

Steak & Mushroom Pot Pies

Steak & Mushroom Pot Pie

It’s the 1st of August. How is it the 1st of August already? I say it every year and every year I feel like it’s going faster and faster. I sometimes feel overwhelmed at how quickly the years seem to be flying past me. When I was in school I was SO excited when the year’s would fly past because it would mean our December holidays were upon us, but now, I don’t know how I’m going to get everything done I still need to get done this year. But then, this is how I always feel and what doesn’t get done this year, always seems to get done the next year. It is frightening to think that my babies are turning 3 soon. Three! It feels like yesterday when I was lying on the bed watching them play in my tummy.

Steak & Mushroom Pot Pie

Anyway, on to the food. As my beautiful hometown, Pretoria, starts warming up during the day and the smell of Jasmine starts filling the air, I know my favourite season, Spring, is just around the corner. There are a lot of things that make me so happy that I have a permanent smile plastered on my face and my toes curl from utter joy, but Spring has to be pretty much at the top of that list. I love the warm days, cool evenings and watching the trees put on their bright green adornments. It means the season of braai-ing (barbecuing), salads and swimming is almost here.

Steak & Mushroom Pot Pie

But I still need comfort food every now and then and before my second favourite season, Winter, goes away for a while, I need to soak up as much comfort food as I can. After curries, warm pies are my absolute favourite Winter food and these pot pies are sheer perfection. The steak and mushroom stew is rich, meaty and flavourful. If you don’t want to use stewing steak (or chuck steak), you can use beef shin, oxtail or any other stewing beef you happen to have around. Just make sure you remove any bones before putting the mixture into the pie. Nothing worse than munching through a pie only to almost break your tooth on a bone half way through.

Steak & Mushroom Pot Pie

These pies don’t have pastry at the bottom (hence the name: Pot pie) but if you, like me, can never have enough pastry, feel free to put more pastry at the bottom of the baking dish. You can also make mini-pies like I did with my Beef Shin Pie. I served our pot pies with steamed vegetables but I think this would go so well with maple glazed carrots or a simple salad as well.

Makes 4-6 pot pies

1.5kg stewing beef (I used chuck steak cut into chunks, bone removed)
1 large onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
250g mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp each dried thyme, dried rosemary and dried oregano (I like the earthiness of the dried herbs)
2 bay leaves
500ml (2 cups) strong beef stock (alternatively add a heaped tbsp bovril to 500ml water)
1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 50ml milk
salt & pepper to taste
1 roll ready-made puff pastry, rolled out slightly
1 egg, beaten

• For the filling, brown the beef in a large pot. Remove and set aside.
  • In the same pot, fry the onion, carrots and celery sticks until soft and fragrant (about 10 minutes).
  • Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry for 5 minutes before adding the paprika and herbs.
  • Pour in the stock and add the browned beef back into the pot. Stir to combine everything and reduce the heat. Cover the pot and allow the stew to simmer gently for 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
  • When the meat is really tender (when you press a piece with a spoon it should break apart), turn the heat up and pour in the cornflour mixture. Allow the sauce to simmer rapidly and thicken for about 10 minutes.
  • Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
  • Divide the beef and mushroom filling between 4-6 oven-proof dishes (depending on size).
  • Cut the pastry into squares big enough to cover the dishes, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Brush the rim of the dishes with some of the beaten egg then place the pastry on top and pinch the pastry onto the rim.
  • Cut 2 slits into each pie to allow the steam to escape and brush with the rest of the beaten egg.
  • Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and golden brown.
  • Remove and serve with vegetables of your choice.

This looks perfect..I dont have the words to describe how much I would love to have one of these for dinner right now! Steak pies are my all time favourites, seriously, my last meal would be a pie if i had to choose, and these…look…perfect. Im saving this one and i AM going to make it whether my currently salad-obsessed mother likes it or not! :)

• Heather P

This was sooo good! I made this tonight for dinner and plan on working it into our monthly meals. YUM

• Kevin (Closet Cooking)

Those look so good! You really cannot go wrong with tender beef and mushrooms covered in a light and flaky crust like that!

• Jenny

This looks yummy! I love beef and mushrooms, and my family likes pot pies (although how they can eat those pathetic frozen things is beyond understanding). This is a pot pie I could love! (Have to go find some more single-serving oven-proof dishes—I only have two, and I need 6….)

• jay burnett

Thang goodness I have some boneless chuck in the freezer + a package of almost expired Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry. This is going to be on the menu tomrrow night. Thanks for this one. I apprecieate and so will he !

• Yesenia

What temperature should i set the oven to?

• K&B

This looks delicious !

ratedkb.wordpress.com

• Linda

I made these a couple days ago, and they were a big hit with the family!

I’m so pleased to hear that Linda! They’re a favourite with my family as well.

• Alison Arsenault

I made this for supper tonight, I halved the recipe as there were just the two of us. I did not have any puff pastry on hand so just used my regular pie pastry. The aroma while it was simmering on the stove was incredible & the taste was fantastic. It will become a staple in our household. Thanks for sharing.

• Dacia

Can this be done in a 9×13 pan and just cut and served? I know it wouldn’t be ideal, but I don’t have smaller pans like those individualized ones. How would the cooking time be affected or would it just not work?

Most definitely. Cook it until the pastry is golden brown and crisp, probably around 30-45 mins?

• Dacia

Is there anything I can substitute for “corn flour”. Our grocery store doesn’t carry that? I have corn starch, bread flour, whole wheat flour, and regular flour.

• TC

Corn flour and corn starch are the same thing :)

• Jamie

Quick question…Can you freeze this before you bake it??

Jamie, absolutely!

• mellie

Do you freeze it with the puffed pastry on or put the pastry on when you are ready to cook?

You could freeze it with puff pastry on but only if you have fresh puff pastry as you can’t re-freeze thawed puff pastry.

• brandyspeonk

Jamie and Alida, I would like to ad a suggestion. I would leave off the puff pastry before I freeze it. Since I’m sure we’re all using frozen puff pastry, it’s just a defrost the filling and the pastry and it’s done. You can freeze the filling in the pots you intend to use to cook in if you can or just freeze in one container and when defrosted put in the pots you’re going to use and put the pastry on top. I just think the dough gets a bit gummy after it’s defrosted and refrozen. That’s my experience with the pastry and it doesn’t ad any extra work. Can’t wait to make this tomorrow Alida!!

• Jenna

I have now made this recipe four times in a month since I found it. I use herbs de provence and a smoked spicy paprika and my house has never smelled this good! I may have to mention you and this recipe on Butter&Yolk! Well done!!! My husband thanks you too!

• Kdrn

Did anyone else have to add significantly more liquid to braise the meat? I had to triple the liquid. 3 lbs meat, 2cup liquid, and 2 hours cooking didn’t add up for me. Besides that, this recipe is fantastic. This will be made again and again on this house. Thanks.

I haven’t gotten that complaint before but thanks for letting me know. Glad you liked it! :)

• Btf

I’m thinking about this for St. Paddy’s Day, but may add some Guiness to the braising liquid for a beef and Guiness pie. Has anyone tried this?

• Btf

Update: I did just that- used a pint of Guinness and made up the remaining volume with beef broth. It was tremendous. We liked it far better than beef bourgignon..

• Jelena

I found your recipe on Pinterest and it was SO SO delicious! I ended up making one giant pie (as opposed to individual ones) and put a puff pastry on the bottom as well as top (cause I just like having the doughy goodness on both ends) and it was simply delicious!

I actually reviewed this recipe on my blog. You can find the review here http://www.2girlsandapin.com/2-girls-and-a-pin-tested-steak-and-mushroom-pot-pie/

Thanks so much for an amazing recipe!

Take care,

Jelena

So glad you liked it Jelena! Thanks for the lovely post!

• Maggie Conlon Martin

Had this tonight. Unbelievably delicious!!!

• ChefAnn from DInner Is Served

Do you think the steak filling could be made in the slow cooker? I’m thinking this would be a perfect weeknight family meal if the filling was ready when I got home from work.

Absolutely!

• shelley

lol Alida i loved the comment about the g and t but could relater to profile :)

• bchhair1

I made the meat mixture yesterday, and since I was out of an ingredient for crust, I made a Shepard’s Pie.I topped the meat sauce with a layer of peas, then creamy, buttery mashed potatoes..fabulous!

Yum! That sounds great!

• Maryaishmo

If I want to put pastry on the bottom do I have to bake it a little first or just pour the filling on it while raw?

You can if you want but I just usually put the pie on the lowest shelf in the oven so the heat hits that pastry first. That usually gets it nice and crisp. But if you’re worried, you can blind bake it before hand.

• Tania

Does recipie call for paprika or smoked paprika ?

In the recipe it does call for smoked paprika but you could substitute with sweet or hot paprika if you’d prefer.

• Hershey Anna

Oh my! This is the best dish EVER! Decided on a whim to try these pot pies for dinner. Such a huge hit with my husband. He began commenting on how delicious it smelled while I was stewing the beef mixture. Then he took his first bite of the pie. This recipe will be on my “frequent flyer” recipe list! Thank you for sharing.