This creamy vegetarian pot pie is the ultimate dinner recipe. Filled with fresh vegetables, creamy cheese sauce and topped with puff pastry, it’s the meatless meal you’ve been dreaming about.
Pot pie is a comfort food classic. There’s just something about creamy filling topped with golden, flaky pastry. Even though chicken pot pie is a go-to for most, this vegetable pot pie has quickly become our family favorite. It’s made with vegetables most homes have regularly and requires minimal prep. We love it as a warming family dinner but it makes an excellent side dish when feeding a crowd too.
Full vegetarian pot pie recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Frozen peas.
- Milk. Vegetable broth or stock can also be used.
- Salt & pepper.
- Cayenne pepper.
- Grated cheese. I used a sharp/mature cheddar but any cheese of your choice will work.
- Puff pastry. Any pie crust can be used.
How to make vegetarian pot pie
- Cook the vegetables: Set a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Saute onion, leeks and carrots in a tablespoon of olive oil until soft and starting to caramelize. Add broccoli florets and frozen peas. Add a splash of water and cover with a lid. Allow to cook until the broccoli is just cooked (pierce the stem with a sharp knife to see if it’s soft). Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Make the cheese sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan then whisk in flour to make a roux. Pour in milk or chicken stock and whisk until smooth. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer until the sauce is thick and smooth. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and paprika. Remove from the heat then stir in the grated cheddar cheese. Pour the sauce over the cooked veggies and mix. Transfer the filling to a baking dish or individual dishes if you want to make mini pot pies. Cover with a sheet of thawed puff pastry. Crimp the edges, make a few slits into the surface of the pastry to act as vents then brush with egg wash.
- Bake: Place in a preheated oven and allow to bake for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and puffed. Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
What other vegetables can I use?
- Butternut squash.
- Green beans.
Can you freeze pot pies?
Yes, pot pie freezes very well. Assemble the pot pies in freezer safe containers or foil containers. Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the pastry then cover well with foil. Freeze for up to 3 months and bake directly from frozen (uncovered) for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp and the filling is hot and bubbling. If the pastry is browning too quickly, loosely cover with foil then continue baking.
What to serve with pot pie
- Garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Maple butter mashed sweet potatoes
- Easy garlic butter dinner rolls
Pot pie recipes
- Steak and mushroom pot pie
- Creamy mushroom pot pie
- Easy Weekday chicken pot pie
- Leftover turkey pot pie
Creamy vegetarian pot pie
For the vegetables
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 leeks washed and finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots peeled, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 750 g (1½lbs) broccoli florets halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
For the bechamel
- 4 cups bechamel sauce
For the pie
- 1 roll puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Saute onion, leek, carrot and garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil until soft and starting to caramelize.
- Add the broccoli, peas and water. Cover with a lid and allow to steam for 5-7 minutes until the broccoli is just cooked. Test by piercing the stem with a sharp knife. If there is a lot of liquid in the pan, drain before combining with the sauce.
- Prepare the bechamel/cheese sauce as directed. Pour cheese sauce over the cooked vegetable and mix.
- Transfer the filling to a baking dish.
- Cover with thawed puff pastry. Crimp the edges then cut a few vents into the surface. Brush with egg wash.
- Place the pot pie in the oven and allow to bake for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and puffed.
- Remove and allow to rest fof 5-10 minutes before serving.