Halllooooo grilled cheese goodness (imagine me saying that in the same way the Animaniacs used to say ‘Hallloooo nurse!’). Isn’t it weird what stuff stays with you from your childhood? I always used to remember that nurse line and then the other day the twins were watching Animaniacs and I was immediately transported back to my childhood. Saturday mornings spent watching cartoons and eating ginormous bowls of cereal while my parents tried to catch a few more zzz’s. Now having my own kids, I adore cartoons for those few extra minutes they allow me to laze in bed. I often also watch with them and a while ago I saw an Elmer Fudd ‘music video’ where he serenades a grilled cheese. At first I thought this was too weird to be on kids TV as he was really seducing that grilled cheese but I also kinda knew what he was singing about. Is there anything as delicious as a really, REALLY good grilled cheese? I get you Elmer, I get you.
There’s something about melted cheese in general that just draws people in like a moth to a flame. Add crisp bacon and sweet, caramelised onions and you have perfection on bread. This is what I promise with this sandwich. Nothing fancy. Nothing ground breaking. Just a damn good grilled cheese sandwich.
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 250g bacon, cooked until crisp
- 100g brie cheese, sliced
- 4-6 slices bread of your choice
- To make the caramelised onions, heat a large frying pan over medium heat then sauté the onions in the olive oil with the salt until soft and golden. Add the sugar and vinegar and allow to caramelise. Set aside.
- To make the sandwich, butter the bread on both sides then top with the onions, brie cheese and bacon.
- Grill in a hot pan/sandwich press until golden brown and heated through.
- Serve immediately.