Is there anything more enjoyable than a really good grilled cheese? Adding bacon and jalapeños take this comfort food classic to a new level of awesome.
There’s this moment, every time I eat a (good) grilled cheese sandwich, that I am just sure that this is the best thing I have ever eaten. When you’ve bitten through that crunchy, buttery bread and gotten to the gooey, cheese layer. It’s just magic. Now add bacon and pickled jalapeños to that? Drool-worthy stuff.
I make this version of a grilled cheese sandwich for us quite often. Lunch, indulgent breakfast, lazy dinner. This grilled cheese has featured all over the show and I can’t get enough. The trick to getting a seriously good grilled cheese is to double up on the cheese you use. I use both mozzarella for all that stringy, melty, goodness as well as mature cheddar for all that sharp flavour. It’s the best of both worlds and will result in a glorious grilled cheese, every time.
Bacon jalapeño grilled cheese
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar
- 8 slices streaky bacon cooked to your preference
- pickled jalapeños
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Mix together the mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Layer the cheese, bacon and pickled jalapeños on one slice of bread and sandwich with another.
- Generously butter both sides then place the sandwich in the pre-heated pan.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides with the cheese completely melted (placing a lid on the pan helps the cheese melt faster).
- Remove from the pan, slice in half and serve.