Golden, buttery bread encasing hot, melty creamed spinach. This creamed spinach grilled cheese is all your sandwich dreams, come true. Would you just take a look at that. That melty, luscious spinach and feta filling with a little mozzarella for that extra bit of ooze. Yes please!
How to make a grilled cheese sandwich
It’s such a simple thing to make but with these tips you will make the best grilled cheese ever.
- Bread: Start with any bread that you actually love. I like using bread with a good crust so sourdough, ciabatta and any artisanal loaf will work. I also think that crusty bread holds up a creamy filling better. Slice the bread into 1-1.5cm (half inch) slices.
- Filling: It wouldn’t be a grilled cheese without a good amount of gooey, melty cheese. Using a variety of cheeses is a great idea to give your sandwich a boost of cheesy flavor. Depending on the other ingredients in your filling, use cheese that compliment those flavors. Bacon works well with cheddar and brie, for instance. I like to use aged or mature cheddar and mozzarella most often. The mozzarella gives all the cheese pulls while the cheddar adds richness.
- Butter: Do not skimp on using good butter. Once filled, close the sandwich and generously spread softened butter on both sides of the sandwich.
- Time to cook: Heat a large, non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the assembled sandwiches (don’t overcrowd the pan) and cover with a lid. This allows the cheese to melt a little quicker and speeds up the cooking process. Cook the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and crisp then carefully flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. You can do this in a griddle pan too if you prefer. Remove the sandwich from the pan and allow to rest for a minute or two. This allows the cheese to settle slightly and minimizes cheese-lava injuries. Slice, serve and enjoy!
What to serve with grilled cheese sandwiches
Grilled cheese recipes
- Mushroom grilled cheese
- Bacon jalapeno grilled cheese
- Pulled pork grilled cheese
- Bacon & Brie grilled cheese
- Egg in a hole bacon grilled cheese
Creamed spinach grilled cheese sandwichPrint Pin Rate
for the creamed spinach
- 400 g baby spinach approx. 8 cups
- 50 g feta cheese crumbled (approx. 4 tablespoons)
- 125 ml fresh cream heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
for the grilled cheese
- 6 slices bread of your choice
- 150 g mozzarella grated (approx. 1 cup)
- To make the creamed spinach, wash the baby spinach well then place in a bowl.
- Cover with boiling water and allow to blanch for a minute.
- Drain and squeeze out the excess water (be careful, it will be hot).
- Chop the spinach then place in a warm pan. Add the feta cheese and cream and allow to simmer for 5-6 minutes until the cream has reduced.
- Season with the lemon, salt and pepper and remove from the heat to cool to room temperature.
- When the spinach has cooled down, sandwich a few spoons with the mozzarella between two slices of bread.
- Heat a griddle pan over medium-high heat.
- Generously butter the top and bottom of the sandwich then place on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping half-way, until the sandwich is golden brown and all the cheese has melted.
- Remove and serve.