Golden, buttery bread encasing hot, melty creamed spinach. This creamed spinach grilled cheese is all your sandwich dreams, come true. Would you just take a look at that. That melty, luscious spinach and feta filling with a little mozzarella for that extra bit of ooze. Yes please!
How to make a grilled cheese sandwich
It’s such a simple thing to make but with these tips you will make the best grilled cheese ever.
- Bread: Start with any bread that you actually love. I like using bread with a good crust so sourdough, ciabatta and any artisanal loaf will work. I also think that crusty bread holds up a creamy filling better. Slice the bread into 1-1.5cm (half inch) slices.
- Filling: It wouldn’t be a grilled cheese without a good amount of gooey, melty cheese. Using a variety of cheeses is a great idea to give your sandwich a boost of cheesy flavor. Depending on the other ingredients in your filling, use cheese that compliment those flavors. Bacon works well with cheddar and brie, for instance. I like to use aged or mature cheddar and mozzarella most often. The mozzarella gives all the cheese pulls while the cheddar adds richness.
- Butter: Do not skimp on using good butter. Once filled, close the sandwich and generously spread softened butter on both sides of the sandwich.
- Time to cook: Heat a large, non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the assembled sandwiches (don’t overcrowd the pan) and cover with a lid. This allows the cheese to melt a little quicker and speeds up the cooking process. Cook the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and crisp then carefully flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. You can do this in a griddle pan too if you prefer. Remove the sandwich from the pan and allow to rest for a minute or two. This allows the cheese to settle slightly and minimizes cheese-lava injuries. Slice, serve and enjoy!
What to serve with grilled cheese sandwiches
Grilled cheese recipes
- Mushroom grilled cheese
- Bacon jalapeno grilled cheese
- Pulled pork grilled cheese
- Bacon & Brie grilled cheese
- Egg in a hole bacon grilled cheese
Creamed spinach grilled cheese sandwichPrint Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
Servings: 3 sandwiches
for the creamed spinach
- 400 g baby spinach approx. 8 cups
- 50 g feta cheese crumbled (approx. 4 tablespoons)
- 125 ml fresh cream heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
for the grilled cheese
- 6 slices bread of your choice
- 150 g mozzarella grated (approx. 1 cup)
- To make the creamed spinach, wash the baby spinach well then place in a bowl.
- Cover with boiling water and allow to blanch for a minute.
- Drain and squeeze out the excess water (be careful, it will be hot).
- Chop the spinach then place in a warm pan. Add the feta cheese and cream and allow to simmer for 5-6 minutes until the cream has reduced.
- Season with the lemon, salt and pepper and remove from the heat to cool to room temperature.
- When the spinach has cooled down, sandwich a few spoons with the mozzarella between two slices of bread.
- Heat a griddle pan over medium-high heat.
- Generously butter the top and bottom of the sandwich then place on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping half-way, until the sandwich is golden brown and all the cheese has melted.
- Remove and serve.
Absolutely delicious! Used this as a recipe for a school project and the judges LOVED IT!!
Ah you’re right this is indulgent and SO good. I had some leftover prosciutto lying around and added some to this too. Delicious! Thanks for sharing.
I’m so glad you liked it! Love the idea of adding prosciutto.
Oof! This sandwich is gorgeous! Definitely loving the creamed spinach with feta in there! SO AWESOME!
Thanks Katrina! So glad you like it!