Sweet and smoky pulled pork with sharp mature cheddar and creamy mozzarella, toasted between two slices of ciabatta makes for the ultimate grilled cheese.
Feast your eyes on this bad boy. Yep, that’s a whole lot of porky, cheesy goodness going on between those two slices of bread. And it is gooood.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Leftover pulled pork. I used my BBQ Pulled pork recipe.
- Cheese. I like using a combination of mozzarella and cheddar.
Tips for making the best grilled cheese
- Don’t be shy with the butter. Or mayonnaise. I like to make sure to spread the butter/mayo from corner to corner all over the outside of the bread to get good, even browning.
- Use more than one type of cheese. I like using a good melting cheese like mozzarella, Fontina, Raclette, etc. That paired with a sharper, more flavorful cheese is magic on a grilled cheese. Sharp/mature cheddar, Gruyere, Havarti and Parmesan are all good options.
- Start with low heat. To make sure the cheese melts all the way through and the bread is evenly browned and not burnt, you want to start with the pan over low heat.
What cut of meat for pulled pork?
Pork leg or pork shoulder (pork butt) are both perfect for making pulled pork. You want to make sure you use a cut of pork that shreds easily and has a good ratio of meat to fat to keep the meat juicy without being overly greasy.
What kind of bread for grilled cheese?
Most breads can be used for a grilled cheese sandwich, it just needs to be able to toast well and be sturdy enough to keep the filling. White sandwich bread, sourdough, country loaf and boule all work well.
Grilled cheese recipes
Pulled pork grilled cheese sandwich
for the pulled pork
- 2 cups leftover pulled pork
for the sandwich
- 4 slices bread
- ½ cup grated mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated mature cheddar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Divide the pulled pork between two of the ciabatta slices.
- Top with the cheese then sandwich the remaining bread.
- Butter the top and bottom of the sandwich then place in the pre-heated pan.
- Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes per side until the cheese has melted and the sandwich is golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and serve.