Easy bacon and brie potato bake
This potato bake flavoured with crispy bacon and melty brie cheese cooked in cream is an indulgent, delectable side dish you will make over and over again.
A while ago I was browsing through one of my French cookbooks when a dish of soft, creamy potatoes drenched in oozy cheese caught my eye. Tartiflette. What a beautiful word. I am no stranger to tartiflette and have made a version of it for years but as it is very hard to find good Reblochon cheese in South Africa, I usually substitute with brie or camembert to give me a similar creaminess. But because I couldn’t find reblochon before I made this dish, I didn’t feel it right to call it Tartiflette because it’s technically not a tartiflette unless it contains a heft amount of soft, nutty reblochon.
Let’s be honest though, there are few combinations as glorious as bacon and brie cheese (as is demonstrated by this awesome bacon & brie grilled cheese) and when you combine it with garlic, potatoes and cream, you are bound to have a winner on your hands. This recipe is beyond easy to knock together and after an hour in a hot oven, you have simple perfection. This makes a fabulous meal on its own with a zest green salad to cut the richness of the potatoes but also makes a great side dish to grilled/roasted meats.
- 250g streaky bacon, chopped
- 2kgs (approximately 8 large potatoes), thinly sliced
- 250g brie cheese, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 500ml cream
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Place a large, oven-proof frying pan over high heat then fry the bacon until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan, leaving the rendered fat behind.
- Layer the potatoes, brie cheese (reserve a few slices for the topping), bacon and garlic in the pan, seasoning the layers as you go.
- Season the cream with salt and pepper then pour over the potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes with foil/a lid and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Top with the remaining brie cheese then place back in the oven and allow to bake until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve.