An incredibly easy chicken pot pie, perfect for rushed weeknights made with rotisserie chicken and shop-bought cheese sauce.
I love Chicken Pie. I mean, I really love chicken pie. Those of you who read my blog regularly will know this, in fact it’s quite obvious. This is my 5th Chicken pie I’ve posted on Simply Delicious. The reason why I love chicken pie so much is that it’s one of the few recipes that makes me think of my beloved Ouma (Grandmother). She was an amazing cook and she made the best ever chicken pies. With every pie I make I wonder if she would approve of the method, ingredients and twists and turns I take. She was always concerned about me losing the appreciation for traditional methods and ingredients and would firmly, but lovingly, tell me to keep it simple. However, when I served her my chicken & chorizo pie, she absolutely loved it.
Another thing I love about chicken pie is that it is so incredibly versatile. You could add almost anything to it and it would taste amazing as is evident in this chicken, bacon & corn pot pie. However, I always feel like a good, traditional chicken pie is still the one to beat and that’s why I took a bit of time a while ago to create my Ultimate Scrumptious Chicken Pie. This baby takes quite a bit of time but it is so worth it. But then you have nights when the last thing you want to do is spend time in the kitchen. You don’t feel like faffing around ingredients or stand in front of the stove and that is when this easy weekday chicken pot pie recipe comes in. Because sometimes you need the comfort of gran’s chicken pie but you just don’t have the time.
The secret of this easy chicken pot pie is that almost everything in it is shop bought. The pastry, the chicken and the cheese sauce are all conveniently purchased from your local supermarket. The key here is to try to make sure it’s still good quality stuff. Always remember that sub-standard ingredients = sub-standard dishes. I bought an all-butter puff pastry, an organic ready-cooked rotisserie chicken and delicious mature cheddar cheese sauce, added some mushrooms that I had sautéed with garlic and thyme and that’s it. An incredibly delicious chicken pot pie that takes minutes to knock together before you bang it in the oven and allow it to bake away while you have a glass of wine. What more could you ask for?
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken
- 200g ready-made cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 roll ready-made puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat a little olive oil then sauté the mushrooms until browned and cooked through. Add the garlic and thyme and fry for another 30 seconds before removing from the heat.
- Shred the chicken, discarding any bones and skin, and place in a bowl. Add the mushrooms, cheese sauce, crème fraîche and lemon juice and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the filling in a pie dish/ovenproof dish of your choice then top with the pastry.
- Trim the edges and crimp the pastry before brushing with the beaten egg.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and puffed and the filling has heated through.
- Remove from the oven and serve with vegetables of your choice.