This marinated mozzarella balls recipe is filled with delicious flavours and makes the perfect easy appetizer recipe. Fresh garlic, basil, chilli flakes and good olive oil makes this recipe truly irresistible.
This recipe works best with fresh mozzarella balls (Bocconcini) or cubed fresh mozzarella (Buffalo Mozzarella or Fior di Latte) but low moisture mozzarella will also work in a pinch. For the marinade, try to use the best quality olive oil you can find. I added aromatics like fresh garlic, basil, chilli flakes and lemon juice for flavor. The end result is a delicious and easy appetizer recipe that’s perfect served with crusty bread and charcuterie.
- Mozzarella cheese. I used bocconcini.
- Extra-virgin Olive oil.
- Lemon juice.
- Fresh garlic.
- Fresh basil. Other fresh herbs like fresh parsley, oregano, rosemary and thyme will also work.
- Chilli flakes / red pepper flakes.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make marinated mozzarella balls
- Make the marinade: To make the marinade, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, finely chopped basil and chilli flakes in a large bowl. Season generously with salt and black pepper then mix well.
- Marinate the mozzarella: Drain the bocconcini or mozzarella balls and add to the bowl. Stir well, ensuring each piece of mozzarella is coated in marinade. Transfer to a large jar and pour over the marinade. Top up with more olive oil. Seal and allow to marinate for at least 60 minutes before serving.
How long does marinated mozzarella last?
The marinated mozzarella balls will last for 4-6 days if kept covered in olive oil in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The oil will solidify in the fridge so I would suggest removing the mozzarella an hour to two hours before you plan on serving to allow it some time to come back to room temperature.
What to serve with marinated mozzarella
I love serving the mozzarella simply with crostini or crusty bread as a simple, vegetarian appetizer or snack. However it’s also delicious served as part of a charcuterie board or cheese board or in a classic Caprese salad.
- Crispy fried mozzarella
- Warm orzo salad with roasted tomatoes and mozzarella
- Family-Size Salami, Mozzarella and Eggplant Ciabatta Sandwich
- 450 g (1lb) Mozzarella balls
- 1 cup Olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes / red pepper flakes
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- To make the marinade, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic finely chopped basil and chilli flakes in a medium bowl.
- Season generously with salt and black pepper then mix well.
- Drain the bocconcini or mozzarella balls and add to the bowl.
- Mix well, ensuring each piece of mozzarella is coated in marinade.
- Transfer to a large jar and pour over the marinade.
- Top up with more olive oil. Seal and allow to marinate for at least 60 minutes before serving.