Baked chicken thighs in a rich white wine sauce flavored with garlic and herbs is a perfect easy weeknight recipe.
Table of Contents
- Chicken thighs. I used bone-in skin-on chicken thighs but this recipe can be made with boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken drumsticks as well. The cooking time will need to be adapted as boneless chicken cooks much faster.
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Butter. I used salted butter but unsalted butter works too.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Fresh herbs: I used a combination of sage, fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary. Spices like paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and dried herbs like oregano can also be used.
- White wine. Chicken broth/chicken stock with a squeeze of lemon juice can be substituted.
- Heavy cream/whipping cream.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to bake chicken
Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels then season generously with salt and pepper. Sear chicken thighs in an oven-proof pan or large skillet until golden brown then remove and set aside. In the same pan add the garlic, herbs, wine and cream. Allow to come to a simmer then add the chicken back in the pan and place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes (depending on size) or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
How long to bake bone-in chicken thighs
Depending on the size of the chicken thighs, they should take between 20 and 35 minutes when baked at 200ºC/390ºF. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F/75°C on a meat thermometer.
Can I make this ahead?
The crispy chicken skin won’t stay as crisp made ahead but any leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave oven. I wouldn’t recommend freezing this recipe as the cream sauce will split once reheated.
What to serve with baked chicken thighs
This chicken thigh recipe is a great protein to serve for dinner with almost any side dish. For a gluten-free meal serve the chicken with garlic butter rice, mashed potatoes and vegetables like steamed broccoli. If you want a keto/low carb meal, sautéed green beans are a delicious side. Crusty bread would be delicious dipped into that creamy sauce.
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- 10-minute sautéed broccolini
Chicken thigh recipes
- Rosemary lemon chicken thighs
- Easy honey garlic chicken thighs
- Chicken Piccata Thighs
- Crispy chicken thighs on cheesy broccoli rice
Chicken baked with white wine, garlic and herbs
- 8 chicken thighs skin on and bone in
- olive oil/butter for frying
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- large handful mixed fresh herbs chopped (I used sage, parsley, thyme and rosemary)
- ½ cup heavy/whipping cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- In a large, oven-proof frying pan, melt the butter/heat the oil and fry the chicken until golden brown all over.
- Remove from the pan then add the garlic and allow to fry for a few seconds then pour in the wine, herbs and cream.
- Add the chicken back to the pan then season to taste and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through but still juicy.
- Serve with rice/bread to mop up the juices.