Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes is the perfect mix of creamy mashed potatoes and crisp roast potatoes and makes an easy, delicious side dish.
Is there anything more glorious than a crispy, crunchy roast potato? No wait, what about the creamiest, dreamiest, fluffy mashed potatoes? Can’t choose? Well, now you don’t have to. Because THIS my friends, is the perfect mash up of crisp roast potatoes and creamy mashed potatoes. Crispy smashed potatoes are going to become your new favorite side dish, in no time!
Full recipe + amounts can can be found in the recipe card below.
- Potatoes. Any potato used for mashing will work well. Waxy potatoes won’t smash easily so I wouldn’t recommend using a waxy variety.
- Olive oil.
- Cracked black pepper.
- Fresh thyme. Other herbs that work well with potatoes are sage, rosemary and oregano.
How to make smashed potatoes
- Boil the potatoes: Boil medium-sized potatoes in a large pot of salted water until a sharp knife can easily be inserted. You want them to be pretty much fully cooked otherwise they won’t smash easily. Remove the potatoes from the water and place on a greased rimmed baking sheet.
- Smash the potatoes: With a potato masher (or a wooden spoon), smash the potatoes gently, flattening them. Drizzle the potatoes generously with olive oil and season with salt, fresh cracked black pepper and fresh thyme.
- Bake until crispy: Place the potatoes in a hot oven preheated to 230°C/450°F and allow to roast until golden brown and crunchy, approximately 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve while hot.
What to serve with smashed potatoes
- Easy lemon-herb roast chicken.
- Pan-seared garlic lamb chops.
- Easy grilled steak.
- Lemon pepper chicken thighs.
- Twice baked potatoes.
- Creamy condensed milk potato salad.
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges.
- Hasselback potatoes with sriracha butter.
Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- 6 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2-3 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 thyme sprigs
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with water. Season generously then place on high heat and boil until a sharp knife can easily be inserted into the potatoes
- In the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 230ºC/450°F.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place them on a greased rimmed baking sheet. Gently push down on the potatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon until they are flattened.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper, adding a sprig of thyme to each potato.
- Place in the oven and allow to roast for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve.