Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes is the perfect mix of creamy mashed potatoes and crisp roast potatoes and makes an easy, delicious side dish.
Table of Contents
- Potatoes. Any potato used for mashing and roasting will work well. Waxy potatoes won’t smash easily so I wouldn’t recommend using a waxy variety. Russet, Maris Piper, King Edward etc. are all good varieties.
- Olive oil.
- Cracked black pepper.
- Fresh thyme.Other fresh herbs that work well with potatoes are parsley, chives, sage, rosemary and oregano.
How to make smashed potatoes
- Boil the potatoes: Boil medium-sized potatoes in a large pot of salted water until they are fork tender. You want them to be pretty much fully cooked otherwise they won’t smash easily. Remove the potatoes from the water and allow to dry for a few minutes. Place the potatoes on a greased rimmed baking sheet or sheet pan, spaced apart to allow ultimate crisping action.
- Smash the potatoes: With a potato masher, bottom of a glass or large wooden spoon, smash the potatoes gently to flatten them. Drizzle or brush the potatoes generously with olive oil and season with salt, fresh cracked black pepper and fresh thyme. You could add freshly grated parmesan cheese to each potato too, if you wish.
- Bake until crispy: Place the potatoes in a hot oven and allow to roast until golden brown and crunchy, approximately 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve while hot.
Can I make smashed potatoes in the air fryer?
Absolutely! Follow the boiling and smashing directions then place the potatoes in the air fryer basket. Drizzle with olive oil and season then cook at 200ºC/390ºF for 15-20 minutes, checking on them half way through.
What to serve with smashed potatoes
These potatoes go with absolutely everything. I love serving them a sour cream dipping sauce. Smashed baby potatoes are an excellent appetizer or snack (hello game day!) but this larger version makes the perfect side dish for everything from roast chicken to juicy steaks.
- Easy lemon-herb roast chicken.
- Pan-seared garlic lamb chops.
- Easy grilled steak.
- Lemon pepper chicken thighs.
- Twice baked potatoes.
- Creamy condensed milk potato salad.
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges.
- Hasselback potatoes with sriracha butter.
Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- 6 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2-3 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 thyme sprigs
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with water. Season generously then place on high heat and boil until a sharp knife can easily be inserted into the potatoes
- In the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 230ºC/450°F.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place them on a greased rimmed baking sheet. Gently push down on the potatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon until they are flattened.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper, adding a sprig of thyme to each potato.
- Place in the oven and allow to roast for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve.