Who could say no to a juicy Bourbon-basted double cheeseburger with caramelized onions? No-one, that’s who!
- Ground beef / beef mince.
- Herbs: I used parsley and oregano.
- Tomato ketchup.
- Worcestershire sauce.
- Brown sugar.
- Smoked paprika.
- Balsamic vinegar.
- For the burgers: Burger buns, lettuce, tomato and cheese.
How to make a double cheeseburger
- Make the patties: Combine the beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and seasoning. Mix until just combined. With wet hands, form the mixture into 8 burger patties. Place on a parchment-lined cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. The patties can be made up to a day in advance and kept covered in the fridge.
- Make the bourbon basting sauce: Combine the ketchup, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, paprika and bourbon in a small saucepan. Set over medium heat and allow to bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- (Optional) Make caramelized onions: Thinly slice the onions. Heat a splash of oil in a large pan set over medium heat. Add the onions and fry until they start to soften and turn golden (approximately 15 minutes). Add the sugar and Balsamic and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent the onions from burning. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the burgers: Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill then cook the burgers for two minutes per side then baste with the Bourbon-basting sauce and cook until caramelized and cooked to your preference. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for a few minutes. Toast the buns while the burgers are resting.
- Assemble and serve: Top the toasted buns with lettuce, burger patties, cheese and sliced tomato. Serve immediately.
Bourbon-basted double cheeseburger
Who could say no to a juicy Bourbon-basted double cheeseburger with caramelized onions? No-one, that's who!Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
Servings: 4 double burgers or 8 single burgers
for the patties
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 750 g (1½lb) ground beef / beef mince
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- small handful fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons salt depending on taste
- pepper to taste
for the bourbon basting sauce
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- salt & pepper to taste
for the caramelised onions
- 3 red onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
for the burgers
- 4 sesame buns
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced cheese
- To make the burgers, combine the ground beef/mince, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, herbs, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Form 8 patties and place on a plate/tray. Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge to rest.
- To make the basting sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and allow to come to a boil. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer gently for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To make the caramelized onions, fry the onions in the olive oil over medium heat until they start to soften and turn golden (approximately 15 minutes). Add the sugar and Balsamic and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent the onions from burning. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To cook the burgers, preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. If using an outdoor grill, the fire needs to be medium hot to create a crust on the outside of the burgers without burning the basting sauce.
- Cook the burgers for 2 minutes per side then start basting with the Bourbon sauce. Cook to your preference. Toast the sesame buns while the burgers are cooking.
- To assemble the burgers, top the buns with the lettuce, tomato, the basted patties, cheese and a generous spoonful of caramelised onions.
- Serve immediately.
Calories: 588kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 157mg | Sodium: 1517mg | Potassium: 1277mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 532IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 9mg
Leave a Reply