Juicy cheeseburgers with pickled jalapeños topped with a crispy hash brown are a crowd favorite and perfect to serve at your next cookout. Yes please!
Listen up! Today we are discussing why everything is made better when topped with a crispy hash brown. Because would you just look at that golden crunchiness? I mean. Now I know that there’s nothing wrong with a classic cheeseburger. We all know it. We all love it. But every now and then we want something a little extra, don’t we? We want crunch and spice and everything nice. And I can guarantee that a crispy hash brown and pickled jalapeños make this cheeseburgers infinitely better.
Table of Contents
How to cook a burger on the stove
Make burger patties by combining ground beef/beef mince with spices, breadcrumbs and beaten egg. Mix until just combined then form patties. Heat a grill pan or skillet until hot then add the patties and cook until golden brown and caramelized on both sides and cooked to your preference, approximately 2-4 minutes per side. Add cheese to the top of the burger and allow to melt before serving.
How to make hash browns
The key to a really good hash brown is to rinse grated potatoes until the water runs clear. This gets rid of any excess starch which could add a gluey texture to the finished hash brown. Dry the potatoes well and then mix with a little flour to bind them, a pinch of salt and pepper and that’s it. No egg necessary. Fry in really hot oil until golden brown and crisp and you’re done.
Hash brown cheeseburgers with pickled jalapeños
for the burger patties
- 500 g beef mince/ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
for the hash browns
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt & pepper to taste
for the burgers
- sesame buns toasted
- sliced tomato
- sliced cheese
- pickled jalapeños
- To make the patties, combine all the ingredients and mix well. Form 4 patties and chill, wrapped, for 20 minutes.
- To make the hash browns, grate the potatoes then rinse until water runs clear. Place the grated potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze dry. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cook the burgers in a hot griddle pan until cooked to your preference.
- Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a pan and fry spoonfuls of the hash brown mixture until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Top the cooked patties with sliced cheese and a hash brown then assemble burgers, adding the toppings of your choice.
- Serve immediately.