Soft and pillowy garlic naan stuffed with cheese and chilli flakes is the melty side dish every curry needs. It’s pretty fabulous on its own as a snack too!
- Flour. I used 00-flour but bread or all-purpose flour will also work.
- Instant yeast.
- Plain yogurt. I use full fat Greek yogurt.
- Baking powder.
- Butter. I used salted butter but you can use unsalted too.
- Fresh crushed garlic.
- Cheese. I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella.
- Chilli flakes / Crushed red pepper flakes.
How to make cheese-stuffed garlic naan
- Make the Naan dough: Combine yeast, warm water and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix well then allow to stand for 5 minutes until foamy. Add the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt and yogurt and mix with the dough hook until a soft smooth dough forms. Start with 4 cups of flour and add more if the dough is too sticky. Bring the dough together in a ball then transfer to a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes – 1 hour in a warm spot until doubled in size.
- Stuff & Roll: Once the dough has proofed, turn it out onto a lightly flour surface. Cut into 10 equal pieces. Press each piece out into a rough circle then add a few spoonfuls of cheese and a pinch of chilli flakes. Bring all the edges together in the center and pinch together. Gently roll the dough out into 1cm thick oblong shapes.
- Cook the Naan: Heat a large skillet or frying pan over high heat. Add one naan bread at a time, cover and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes per side until blistered and caramelized. This version of naan won’t puff up as much as plain naan because of the cheese filling. Mix together the butter and garlic and brush the breads with the mixture when they come out of the pan. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and keep warm wrapped in foil until ready to serve.
Can I make this ahead?
The naan dough can be made up to 24 hours ahead and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature for an hour before forming the naan. The dough can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Any cooked leftovers can be wrapped in foil and kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a hot pan before serving.
What to serve with garlic naan
Naan in general is just made for dipping into curry and mopping up all the sauce. Our favorite is always butter chicken or shrimp curry but a delicious cauliflower curry is absolutely delicious as a meat-free meal.
Easy bread recipes
Cheese-stuffed garlic Naan bread
- 1 cup warm water
- 10 g (2¼tsp) instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4-5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tsp crushed garlic (optional)
- Sesame seeds to serve
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water, yeast and sugar. Mix to combine then allow to stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, garlic powder and salt and start mixing with the dough hook.
- Add the yogurt and allow to knead for 5 minutes. The dough needs to be soft and smooth. If it is too sticky, add a little flour and if it is too dry, add a splash of water/milk and mix through.
- Form the dough into a smooth ball then place in an oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and place in a warm spot to rise for 45-60 minutes (or until doubled in size).
- When the dough has risen, remove from the bowl and place on a floured surface.
- Cut into 10 equal pieces and press into a rough circle. Add a few spoonfuls of cheese and a pinch of chilli flakes. Bring all the corners up into the center and pinch together. Gently roll the Naan out until 1cm thick.
- Heat a large skillet or pan over high heat. Add the naan, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. This version won't puff up quite as much as plain Naan because of the cheese filling.
- Mix together the butter and garlic and set aside.
- Remove from the heat and brush with melted butter and sprinkle over sesame seeds.
- Wrap in foil until ready to serve.
@simplydeliciousfood Cheese stuffed garlic naan. #simplydeliciousfood #naan #cheesyfood ? Why Are There Boundaries - FKJ
what a wonderful version of a grilled cheese sandwich, at least to me, I love naan and had never had it this way, and have never tried to make it, so thank you for this recipe!
What abt for a vegan naan?
I’ll get working on a recipe 🙂
Hi, Alida can I prepare the Naan ahead and freeze it. For a meal prep?
Definitely! The dough freezes very well.
Alisa, kan ek die kaas uitlos en net ‘n knoffel naan maak met die resep?
Jy kan, ja!