This easy recipe makes the softest, fluffiest bread rolls and requires only a handful of ingredients. Perfect for burgers, sandwiches or served with soup.
Ingredients needed to make bread rolls
- Flour. I used all purpose flour but cake flour can also be used. Bread flour can be used but the end result might not be as light and fluffy.
- Instant yeast.
- Milk. This is an enriched dough so it uses milk, butter and egg but feel free to use water if preferred.
- Butter. Vegetable oil, olive oil or canola oil can also be used.
How to make bread rolls
- Make the dough: Combine instant yeast with warm milk (you can use water too) and sugar and whisk together. Allow this mixture to stand for 5 minutes until frothy. Combine 3 cups of flour (for these rolls, as they are so soft and fluffy, really any flour will work. All purpose, cake, bread or wholewheat) with salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. With the mixer running, pour the yeast mixture in and allow to incorporate. Add a beaten egg and beat in the softened butter. At this stage, the dough might look very wet and sticky. Add the remaining cup of flour, 1 tablespoon at a time to the dough, allowing it to mix in well after each addition. You might not need all the flour. The dough needs to be soft and smooth and just a little bit sticky.
- Allow the dough to proof (rise): Cover the dough with plastic or a damp dish towel. Allow to rise for an hour or until doubled in volume. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 8 even pieces. Roll each piece into a ball then place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You might need to prepare two sheets, depending on their size. The bread rolls shouldn’t be too close to each other as they will rise while baking. Cover the bread rolls again and allow to rise for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven.
- Bake the bread rolls: Brush the proofed dough balls with egg wash then place in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minute or until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove from the oven and immediately brush with melted butter. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Make ahead and freezing instructions
- Make ahead: The dough can be prepared up to two days in advance and kept covered in the fridge. Remove from the fridge an hour before baking to allow the dough to come up to room temperature. Baked rolls will last up to a day in an airtight container.
- Freezing: Baked rolls can be frozen wrapped in foil and placed in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove from the bag and loosen the foil slightly and allow to thaw overnight. They can be served once thawed or reheated in the oven. Dough balls can also be frozen and baked from frozen until golden brown and risen.
What to serve with bread rolls
- Bacon cheese burgers
- Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- Easy Portuguese prego rolls
- Fried chicken sandwich
Easy bread recipes
Easy soft and fluffy bread rolls
- 1 cup warm milk
- 10 g (2tsp) instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3-4 cups flour (any white flour can be used: Cake, all purpose or bread)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter softened
For the egg wash
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp melted butter for finishing
- Whisk milk, sugar and yeast together. Allow to stand for 10 minutes until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine the flour and salt.
- With the mixer running, add the milk mixture and allow to knead in. Add the egg and allow to beat in.
- Add the butter, allow to knead in. At this point the dough will be quite sticky, add the remaining cup of flour one tablespoon at a time, until the dough is soft, smooth and just slightly sticky.
- Cover with plastic or a damp dish towel and allow to rise for 1 hour. While the dough is rising, prepare two sheet pans by lining them with parchment or baking paper.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball then place on the prepared sheet pans. Take care not to place them too close together as they will continue rising.
- Cover again and allow to rise for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Whisk the egg and water together for the egg wash.
- Brush the dough balls with egg wash then place in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and risen. Once baked the bread rolls will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove, brush with a little butter and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.