Easy, cheesy mushroom lasagna is a meatless comfort food classic. Delicious for weeknight dinners served with a salad and great for feeding a crowd.
Lasagna is the kind of food I crave often but as it is so labor-intensive, I don’t tend to make it. With this creamy mushroom version, there’s no excuses though. Mushroom lasagna takes minutes to assemble before baking until golden and bubbling and is any mushroom-lover’s dream meal. The layers of garlic-herb scented mushrooms, al dente pasta sheets and creamy sauce make this the perfect meat free comfort food.
How to make mushroom lasagna
- Use portabellini / chestnut mushrooms. They are cost effective and have great flavor. Slice the mushrooms then saute with garlic, herbs and lemon in butter until golden brown. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- I use store-bought cheese sauce (bechamel or Mornay sauce) which I mix with grated Pecorino, sour cream, salt and pepper. However, you can absolutely make your own white sauce using my recipe.
- Layer the cooked mushrooms, cheese sauce and grated mozzarella with no-boil lasagna sheets. Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes until the noodles are cooked. Check by inserting a sharp knife into the lasagna, if it goes in without any resistance, the pasta is cooked.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Allow the lasagna to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
How long to bake lasagna
Lasagna made with no-boil pasta needs to bake for an hour at 180ºC/350ºF, depending on how many layers there are.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing: Assemble the lasagna in a foil baking container. Press a piece of parchment paper onto the surface of the lasagna then wrap with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. To bake, remove the plastic, foil and parchment and bake on a sheet pan for 60-90 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Making ahead: This lasagna can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep it covered in the fridge before baking and serving.
What to serve with lasagna
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Swirly garlic rolls
- Easy garlic butter dinner rolls
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Cheesy mushroom lasagna
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 kg (2lbs) mushrooms sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp Italian herbs
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ salt and pepper to taste
For the cheese sauce
- 2 cups cheese sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cups Pecorino grated
For the lasagna
- 250 g (½lb) no-boil lasagna sheets
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- In a large pan, saute the onions and mushrooms in a tablespoon of olive oil or butter until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add the garlic, herbs and lemon juice and cook for another minute or two until the garlic is fragrant. Season to taste and set aside.
- Combine the cheese sauce, sour cream and cheese.
- Assemble the lasagna by layering the mushrooms, cheese sauce, pasta sheets and grated cheese in a baking dish. Cover with foil and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 40-45 minutes or until the lasagna sheets are fully cooked. Remove the foil then bake for another 10-15 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.