This easy cucumber tomato onion salad is a delicious, refreshing side dish perfect for easy meals and great for summer.
This salad has been on our dinner table since I was a little girl. My mom loved a quick, simple salad to serve with dinner and I have continued that tradition with my family. My kids love salad, in all shapes and forms. A meal just isn’t complete without some form of vegetable dressed with a simple vinaigrette.
Table of Contents
- Cucumber. I used English Cucumbers but Persian cucumbers can also be used.
- Tomatoes. Use any ripe, in-season juicy tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, beef steak tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, etc.
- Red onion. White onion/Vidalia onion can be used as substitute.
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Lemon juice / Vinegar.
- Oregano. I used dried oregano but fresh herbs like basil, chives or fresh dill can also be used.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make cucumber tomato onion salad
Because this recipe is so easy, use the very best ingredients you can afford. Fresh, in season vegetables are a must. Peel and slice the cucumber into coins then add to a large bowl. Slice the tomato into wedges (or halve smaller tomatoes) and thinly slice the red onion then add to the bowl. Dress with a dressing of your choice and serve.
How to make easy salad dressing
Pour equal amounts olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice into a jar then add salt and pepper and dried oregano or whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl. You can add some minced garlic too. Seal the jar and shake until the dressing is emulsified then pour over the salad.
Can I make this ahead?
Cucumber salad has a tendency to become watery if made too far in advance. You could prepare the ingredients up to 3 hours in advance then cover and keep in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. Pour over the dressing right before serving.
What to serve with cucumber tomato red onion salad
This salad is a fantastic side dish for any meal. It works with lamb chops, steak, chicken and will be delicious as a bbq side.
- Easy lemon-garlic lamb chops
- Greek pork souvlaki
- Easy grilled steak
- Easy Chicken Milanese
- Lemon butter baked fish
Easy salad recipes
Easy cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
- 1 large cucumber
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
For the dressing
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and slice the cucumber into coins and add to a bowl. Slice the tomatoes and red onion and add to the cucumber.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Toss well and serve.