Creamy baked spaghetti
Creamy baked spaghetti is an easy, fuss-free dinner recipe and is perfect for weeknight dinners and will become a family favorite in no time.
Pasta is a regular in most households, right? I mean, most weeks we have it more than once because it’s just so easy to make a recipe the whole family will love when its centered around perfectly cooked al dente pasta.
We of course have our favourites like this Rosemary-cream chicken pasta and this totally delectable tomato-cream rigatoni but we all want something new from time to time, don’t we? Last week I was planning on making a classic mac & cheese but when I went to cook the pasta, realised I didn’t have any macaroni in the house. All I had was a pack of spaghetti and so that would have to do. And so, my creamy baked spaghetti was born.
And my family absolutely loved it. Spaghetti is always a good idea where kids are concerned and I could make it hours in advance and just quickly bake it off before serving. What’s not to love?
I flavoured the sauce with garlic powder and smoked paprika but feel free to add any herbs and spices you like. The creamy sauce is a blank canvas for flavour. You could even go fancy-pants and add crispy bacon, roasted vegetables or mix in some bolognese sauce. I like to keep it simple though and serve it with a zesty, crunchy side salad and honestly, it is just the most delicious, easy, simple weeknight recipe. The leftovers are pretty awesome the next day too.
Creamy baked spaghetti
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1½ cups cheese (a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella works well)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 500g/1lb spaghetti, cooked
- 1 cup cheese, for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF. Melt the butter in an oven-proof skillet/deep frying pan.
- Whisk in the flour until a smooth paste is formed then slowly whisk in the milk over medium-low heat until the sauce is smooth. Add the cream and spices and allow the sauce to cook gently for 5-10 minutes or until the flour has cooked out and the sauce is silky smooth.
- Add the cheese and turn the heat off. Allow the cheese to melt then season to taste.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and stir to combine.
- Top with cheese then place in the oven and allow to bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Please comment and rate the recipe below.