Mughlai chicken is the perfect creamy curry recipe. Made with almonds, spices and aromatics, this curry is a guaranteed crowd favorite. If you love korma, you’re going to LOVE this version.
Table of Contents
How to make Mughlai Chicken
- Marinate the chicken: Mix together plain yogurt (I like using Greek yogurt), ground cumin, coriander, cardamom, turmeric and cinnamon. Add crushed garlic and ginger and season with salt and pepper. Slice boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts into bite size chunks and place in the marinade. Mix well then cover and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes but up to 24 hours. The longer you allow the chicken to marinade the more tender and flavored the chicken will be.
- Make the creamy Mughlai sauce: Soak a cup of blanched almonds in boiling water for 10 minutes. Tip the almonds with the water into a blender and blend until smooth. You might need more water to get the almond paste really smooth. Alternatively, you can use ground almonds instead. In a large pot, cook onion, ginger and garlic in ghee or butter until fragrant. Add spices and sugar and cook for another minute. Add the marinated chicken and cook until the spices start to stick to the bottom of the pot. Pour in the chicken stock, cream and almond paste, scraping the bottom of the pot to release any spices. Reduce the heat and partially cover with a lid before allowing the sauce to simmer gently for 20-30 minute until thickened and the chicken is completely cooked. Do a final tasting and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve: Scatter over toasted sliced almonds and serve the Mughlai chicken with Basmati rice, Naan bread and poppadoms.
Freezing and reheating instructions
- Freezing: Creamy sauces tend to split once thawed but the taste will still be delicious. Allow the cooked curry to cool completely then transfer to freezer safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Thaw completely then transfer to a saucepan. Add half a cup of chicken stock and bring to a gently simmer. Allow to simmer until heated throughout. This curry will last for up to 3 days if kept in a sealed container in the fridge.
What to serve with Mughlai chicken
Chicken curry recipes
Mughlai chicken is the perfect creamy curry recipe. Made with almonds, spices and aromatics, this curry is a guaranteed crowd favorite.Print Pin Rate
For the marinade
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 kg (2lbs) boneless chicken cubed
For the curry
- 1 cup almonds
- 1-2 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp butter / ghee
- 2 onions finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ginger crushed
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup heavy / whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade together then add the chicken. Mix well then cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes but up to 24 hours.
- To make the sauce, soak the almonds in the boiling water for 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth, adding more water if necessary.
- Melt the butter in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.
- Add the spices and sugar and cook for another minute.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook until the chicken is starting to brown and the bottom of the pot becomes sticky. Pour in the chicken stock, cream and almond paste.
- Reduce the heat, partially cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with your choice of side dishes.
Calories: 460kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 635mg | Potassium: 969mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 336IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 2mg