You’re going to love this creamy avocado sauce on everything from tacos and quesadillas to burgers and sandwiches. It’s also a delicious dip served with chips.
Table of Contents
- Ripe avocados.
- Sour cream. Greek yogurt can be substituted. Vegan sour cream can be used if you require a dairy-free sauce.
- Fresh lime juice/lemon juice.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Fresh cilantro/coriander.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make avocado sauce
Halve the avocados then remove the pits. Scoop out the flesh and place in the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Add the sour cream, lime juice, fresh cilantro, peeled garlic cloves then season with salt and pepper. Blend until the sauce is smooth then add a few tablespoons of water, if you want a thinner consistency (great if you want a sauce to drizzle over tacos, etc.). Transfer to a serving bowl then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
This avocado sauce recipe can be made up to a day in advance and kept in a bowl or an airtight container in the fridge. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the sauce to prevent the avocado from browning.
This sauce is absolutely delicious served with tacos, nachos, burritos, quesadillas or on burgers. It also makes a delicious dip served with chips, sweet potato fries and it makes a fantastic breakfast served with eggs on sourdough toast. You could even use it as a dressing for pasta salad.
By pressing a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the sauce, the avocado isn’t exposed to as much oxygen and the sauce won’t brown as fast. Other ways of preventing oxidization is to add a thin layer of water or oil to the surface of the sauce.
Easy Avocado Sauce
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice to taste
- 1 tbsp cilantro/coriander
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-2 tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Halve the avocados then remove the pits.
- Scoop out the flesh then add to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, peeled garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth, adding a few tablespoons of water to reach your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning then serve.