Smashed avocado toast topped with grilled corn, spicy chilies and fresh basil. Easy? Yup! Delicious? Of course! Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
For the avocado toast:
- Avocado. I prefer using Hass avocados as I find them to be extremely flavorsome and creamy however Fuerte avocados will also be delicious. Choose avocados that are ripe, but not too ripe. Their should be a little yield when you gently press against the top of the avocado.
- Salt and pepper. Avocado can handle a lot of seasoning. Season generously and adjust as needed.
- Fresh lemon or lime juice. The acid in lemon or lime juice cuts through the richness of avocado and makes it all the more delicious.
- Bread. I use wholegrain or seeded bread but feel free to use any bread you like. Sourdough, rye and Ezekiel bread are great options. Toast the bread until deep golden brown to make sure it can stand up to the creamy avocado. We don’t want soggy toast.
Avocado toast ideas:
This is a great idea to add texture and even more flavor to avo toast.
- Corn on the cob. Seasonal corn will be juicy and sweet but frozen corn will also work. Brown the corn in a pan before adding to the toast.
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Parmesan cheese. This is optional. You can also use crumbled feta cheese or Cotija. If you prefer to keep this recipe vegetarian/vegan, simply omit the cheese.
- Fresh basil.
- Red chilli.
How to make avocado toast (summary)
- Mash the avocado: Halve the avocados and remove the seed/pit. Scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper then smash with a fork to your preferred texture. If you’re making this for a crowd, use a potato masher.
- Assemble the avocado toast: Toast the bread of your choice until golden brown and crunchy. You want the bread to be well-toasted so it won’t go soggy and soft once the avocado is added. Spread a generous amount of avocado on each slice of toast.
- Prepare the corn: Boil corn on the cob in a large pot of salted water for 10 minutes. Drain then brush with oil. Grill the corn in a griddle pan or an outdoor grill until caramelized and golden on all sides. Slice the grilled corn off of the cobs then top the avocado toast. Add sliced chillies, fresh basil leaves and cheese (if using). Season with salt and pepper then serve.
Avocado toast toppings
- Season the avocado with taco seasoning, fresh cilantro/coriander, sriracha, hot sauce or fresh garlic for added zing.
- Avocado toast with egg is a great, healthy breakfast recipe. Add a poached or fried egg to the top of your toast in the morning for an extra boost of protein.
- Serve with crispy bacon for a version no-one will be able to resist.
- Top with cherry tomatoes and thinly sliced red onion.
Can I make avocado toast ahead?
Unfortunately this is best served immediately. Luckily, simple avocado toast can be made in less than 5 minutes. The avocado will brown if made too far in advance. However, adding lemon or lime juice will prevent that from happening immediately. The corn can be grilled up to 3 days in advance and kept in the fridge.
Grilled corn smashed avocado toast
Smashed avocado toast topped with grilled corn, spicy chillies and fresh basil. Easy? Yup! Delicious? Of course! Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
For the grilled corn (this can be made in bulk and kept in the fridge for days)
- 2 corn on the cob
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the avocado toast
- 2 avocados
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- red chilli finely sliced
- Parmesan cheese grated/shavings
- fresh basil
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- Boil corn on the cob in a large pot of salted water for 10 minutes. Drain then brush with oil.
- Grill the corn in a griddle pan or an outdoor grill until caramelized and golden on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Halve the avocados and remove the seed/pit.
- Scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper then smash with a fork to your preferred texture.
- Toast the bread then top with the smashed avocado.
- Slice the grilled corn off of the cobs then add to the top of the avocado toast.
- Add sliced chillies, fresh basil leaves and cheese (if using). Season with salt and pepper then serve.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 660mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 231IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg
Leave a Reply