If you’re looking for a recipe that comes together in less than 10 minutes and delivers huge on flavor, this is the one. This Cajun shrimp recipe is absolutely delicious and makes a great quick meal served with crusty bread to soak up all the spicy butter sauce.
- Shrimp/prawns. I prefer peeling and deveining my own shrimp/prawns as they are always the juiciest. However, feel free to use any peeled and deveined shrimp. Frozen shrimp should be thawed completely and patted dry with paper towels.
- Olive oil.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Spices: Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano and chilli flakes/red pepper flakes for extra kick. I prefer using a combination of spices to get the most flavor into the dish but if you have a cajun seasoning you like, feel free to use only that. Onion powder, cayenne pepper are all good additions too.
- Chicken Stock/white wine.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Optional: You could had a cup of heavy cream/whipping cream to the shrimp to make more of a sauce which is perfect served over pasta or rice. Follow my Cajun Shrimp Pasta recipe for instructions. You could also turn this into a one skillet meal by adding veggies like red bell peppers, broccoli, onions, etc.
How to make Cajun Shrimp
Peel and devein your shrimp/prawns and add to a large bowl. Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil then season with half of the seasonings. Stir to coat the shrimp then set aside. Heat a large cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, melt the butter then add the crushed garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in the remaining spices and lemon juice then add the shrimp back to the pan. Allow to cook for another minute then season to taste with salt and black pepper. Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley, oregano or basil and serve.
What to serve with cajun shrimp
This dish is delicious served with crusty bread or rice to soak up the sauce. A simple green salad or sautéed greens like broccoli or spinach would be great side dishes too.
Easy shrimp recipes
Easy Cajun Shrimp
- 750 g (1½ lb) shrimp / prawns peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp crushed fresh garlic
- 1 cup stock / white wine
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the peeled and deveined shrimp in a large bowl then add the olive oil, half of the seasonings and a generous pinch of salt.
- Stir to coat the shrimp in the spices.
- Heat a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Sear the shrimp for a minute per side until they are golden brown and just cooked.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the butter and add the fresh garlic. Cook for 30 seconds then add the remaining spices.
- Cook for another 30 seconds then add a cup of stock/wine and allow to deglaze the pan and reduce by half.
- Add the shrimp back to the pan with a squeeze of fresh lemon. Allow the shrimp to heat through.
- Serve garnished with fresh herbs.
Leave a Reply