Crispy chicken katsu served with rice, cucumber and avocado drizzled with a spicy curry mayo sauce is a great weeknight dinner recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Chicken Katsu
Chicken Katsu is a Japanese dish of fried, breaded chicken cutlets (or pork) traditionally serve with rice and curry sauce/chicken katsu sauce.
For the Chicken Katsu
- Chicken breasts. Boneless skinless chicken.
- Panko breadcrumbs. Japanese breadcrumbs deliver the crispiest breading. Fresh or dried regular breadcrumbs can be substituted if you can’t find Panko bread crumbs.
- Salt and black pepper.
For the rice bowls
- Cooked rice. I used Jasmine rice.
- Spring onion/green onion.
- Sesame seeds.
- Curry mayo: Mayonnaise, curry powder, sriracha, honey, rice vinegar.
How to make Chicken Katsu
Slice the chicken breasts in half, creating two thin cutlets. Season the flour with salt and pepper and do the same with the breadcrumbs. Dredge the chicken first in the flour, then dip in beaten eggs and finally in the breadcrumbs. Repeat the egg and breadcrumb steps if you prefer a thicker coating. Heat a quarter cup of neutral vegetable oil (I used canola oil but sunflower oil or peanut oil will work well too) in a large skillet or pan then fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan and allow to drain on paper towels or a wire rack.
Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl then serve the sliced chicken over the cooked rice with cucumber and avo. Drizzle over the sauce and garnish with spring onion/green onion and sesame seeds.
Can I make Katsu chicken ahead?
The fried chicken is definitely best served immediately after cooking but leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in a hot oven or air fryer until crisp.
Crispy chicken recipes
- Easy Chicken Milanese with Grinder-style salad
- Crispy chicken pops
Chicken Katsu Bowls
For the chicken katsu
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour seasoned with 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs seasoned with 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp salt
For the curry sauce
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2-3 tsp sriracha
for the bowls
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 avocado sliced
- sliced cucumber
- green onion/spring onion
- sesame seeds
- Slice the chicken breasts in half, creating two thin cutlets.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and do the same with the breadcrumbs.
- Coat the chicken first in the seasoned flour, then beaten egg and finally in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry the chicken in a pot or deep skillet.
- Fry the chicken in hot oil until crisp, golden brown and cooked through.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Slice the chicken then serve over the cooked rice with cucumber and avo.
- Drizzle over the sauce and garnish with spring onion/green onion and sesame seeds.