Easy pizza toast is the ultimate after school snack for kids (and grown-ups will love it too). Use any toppings of your choice in this 5-minute treat.
I’m so often asked for easy recipe ideas for kids. Both recipes they’ll love and recipes they can make themselves. And luckily for me I have two very eager pre-teens ready to play guinea pig whenever I come up with a new idea.
Not that this is technically a new idea. My mom used to make a version of this pizza toast for us when we were kids and she had to conjure up something delicious with minimal fuss. She used to toast the bread (just like we have here) and then top it with the canned tomato and onion mix and handfuls of grated cheddar. I’ve refined a little more and gone a more pizza-inspired route.
I still used good old sliced white bread but feel free to use whatever bread you want. Tortillas are also awesome here. I then used some of my pizza/roasted tomato sauce and topped it with grated mozzarella and slices of salami (but pepperoni, ham, olives and mushrooms will all be delicious). Finished with oregano, it tasted like actual pizza but took approximately an eighth of the time. Score!
Aidan LOVED making this pizza toast recipe and he very quickly polished off two slices before asking for more. What I love about this recipe so much is that he really did everything himself. From toasting the bread to grating the cheese, all I helped him with was dealing with the oven because if he is anything like his mom, he will have more than a few burn scars sooner rather than later.
This pizza toast recipe is perfect for easy after school snacks and no-fuss lunched for both kids and adults.
How to make pizza toast
Place slices of toasted bread onto a rimmed baking sheet. Top the toast with tomato sauce or marinara sauce of your choice. You can also use jarred pizza sauce if you prefer. Scatter over grated or shredded mozzarella cheese and top with your choice of toppings. Pepperoni, salami, ham, olives and mushrooms are all delicious. Sprinkle over dried oregano and place in a hot oven. Allow to cook until the cheese has melted then remove from the oven and serve.
Pizza recipes your kids will love
- Easy sheet pan Margherita pizza
- Vegetable loaded pizza quesidillas
- Pizza pasta bake
- Margarita pizza rolls
Easy Pizza Toast
- 4-8 slices bread of your choice toasted
- 1 cup Pizza sauce
- 1-2 cups grated mozzarella
- salami/ toppings of your choice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pre-heat the grill of your oven.
- Place the toast on a baking sheet and add a generous spoonful of pizza sauce. Spread with the back of the spoon to the corners.
- Top with a handful of grated mozzarella followed by the toppings of your choice.
- Sprinkle over a little oregano.
- Place in the oven and allow to cook until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.