Creamy mushroom chicken is the perfect recipe when you need dinner on the table fast. Delicious, easy and a guaranteed family favorite!
Creamy mushroom-anything is pretty much a constant in our house. When something is served with creamy mushroom sauce I know I am guaranteed clean plates and therefore, I tend to indulge my family’s cravings often. This creamy mushroom chicken is no different.
This recipe is great for nights when you need dinner on the table fast. You also know when you’re cooking juicy chicken breasts in creamy mushroom sauce that dinner is going to be damn tasty too. Serve over rice, pasta or with crusty bread to mop up the sauce, this recipe is what easy dinner dreams are made of.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Olive oil + butter (you could use either or both).
- Herbs (dried or fresh).
- Salt and pepper.
How to make creamy mushroom sauce?
Start by cooking sliced portabellini/cremini mushrooms in olive oil and butter until golden brown and starting to caramelize. This might take a few minutes as mushrooms contain a lot of water and you need the water to cook out and evaporate before it can start browning. If there’s a lot of liquid in the pan, just give it time to evaporate and cook off. Add garlic and herbs then pour in cream. Season with fresh lemon, salt and pepper and allow to cook and reduce until the sauce covers the back of a spoon.
What herbs go with chicken and mushroom?
Thyme, parsley, sage, oregano and rosemary are all perfect herbs to flavor chicken and mushrooms with.
What to serve with creamy mushroom chicken:
- Garlic-Parmesan mashed potatoes
- Creamy cauliflower mash
- Spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Rosemary Pecorino bread
- Almond, lemon and parsley pilaf rice
Chicken breast recipes
- Chicken breasts with olive, tomato and caper dressing
- Caprese stuffed chicken breasts
- Lemon herb chicken breasts
- Easy white wine Garlic butter chicken
Creamy mushroom chicken
- 4 chicken breasts Halved into two thin cutlets each
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups portabellini/Cremini mushrooms Sliced (approximately 250g)
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- juice of ½-1 lemon to taste
- 1½ cups cream (heavy/whipping)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Season chicken breasts generously on both sides with salt and pepper then place in the frying pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan then add the mushrooms. Cook until golden brown all over.
- Add the garlic and herbs and allow to cook for 30 seconds before adding the cream.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and allow to come to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes then add the chicken breasts back to the sauce. Simmer for another 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle over chopped parsley (optional) and serve.