Juicy chicken breasts stuffed with sundried tomatoes, mozzarella and basil and pan-fried until cooked to perfection is a delicious dinner recipe.
Stuffed chicken is a great way to use simple, boneless chicken breasts. Not only is it easy to make, it’s also a simple showstopper and great served with pasta, steamed greens or potatoes. Using classic Caprese flavors means this will be a crowd pleaser of note.
How to make stuffed chicken breasts
Start by using large, boneless and skinless chicken breasts. Place the chicken on a chopping board in front of you and with a sharp knife, slice into the side of the chicken breast, creating a pocket for the stuffing. Place grated mozzarella, chopped sundried tomatoes and fresh basil into the pocket and secure with toothpicks. Season the chicken generously with salt, pepper and Italian herbs.
Cook the chicken in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown then transfer the pan to the oven and allow to cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The chicken is cooked when the cheese is completely melted and the chicken is white and opaque throughout. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
How long to cook stuffed chicken breast
Cook the chicken over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is white and opaque throughout. The internal temperature should read 73ºC/165ºF on a meat thermometer. You could also brown the chicken in a pan and then place it in a 200ºC/ 390ºF for 10-15 minutes.
What to serve with stuffed chicken breasts
- Easy tomato cream rigatoni
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Easy steamed spring vegetables with feta cheese
- Farmers market salad with buffalo mozzarella
Easy chicken breast recipes
- 30-minute easy grilled chicken and vegetables
- Lemon herb chicken breasts
- Easy creamy mushroom chicken
- Mexican chicken lunch bowls
Caprese stuffed chicken breasts
- 4 large chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 1-2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes finely chopped
- 4 large basil leaves
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC / 390ºF.
- Place the chicken on a chopping board and with a sharp knife, carefully slice into the side of the chicken breast, creating a deep pocket for the stuffing.
- Place a few tablespoons of shredded chicken, sundried tomatoes and a basil leaf in each chicken breast. Secure the opening with toothpicks.
- Season generously with salt, pepper and Italian herbs.
- Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a large oven-proof frying pan or skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts and brown on both sides then pour the Balsamic vinegar over the chicken. Place in the oven and allow to cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.