These salad sandwich with herb mayo is the perfect quick and easy lunch recipe. Use any fresh vegetables you have to make a delicious, filling meal.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Bread of your choice. I used a wholegrain sandwich bread.
- Fresh salad vegetables. Lettuce (or other leaves), tomato, cucumber, onion, carrots, beetroot, peppers, spinach, avocado etc.
- Cheese. Optional.
- Mayonnaise. Alternatively you can use Greek yogurt.
- Fresh herbs. I used basil, chives and parsley.
- Lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make a salad sandwich
- Make the herb mayo: Combine the mayonnaise (or yogurt) with lemon juice, fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Blend with an immersion blender or food processor until smooth then set aside.
- Prep the vegetables: Thinly slice the tomato, cucumber and red onion and julienne the cucumber. I added sliced Monterey Jack as well but that’s optional.
- Assemble the sandwich: Spread a generous amount of the herb mayo onto two slices of bread then top with all your prepped vegetables and cheese. Slice and serve.
Can I make this ahead?
This really is the kind of sandwich that is best eaten right away as the vegetables will make the bread soggy. Luckily, it takes no more than 5 minutes to prep all the vegetables and the mayo can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept in the fridge.
Can I add protein to this salad sandwich?
Absolutely. Sliced cooked chicken, ham, tuna, smoked salmon and sliced boiled eggs will all be delicious in this sandwich.
Easy healthy salad sandwich
For the herb mayo
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup fresh herbs of your choice (basil, parsley, chives)
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sandwich
- 4 slices wholegrain bread
- sliced tomato
- sliced cucumber
- sliced red onion
- julienned carrot
- lettuce / arugula / baby spinach
- sliced cheese (optional)
- Combine all the mayo ingredients and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Alternatively, use a blender or food processor.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread a generous dollop of the mayo onto each slice of bread and top with the vegetables and cheese. Sandwich, slice and serve.