This mega, family-size chicken salad sandwich with creamy chicken filling and avocado is a guaranteed hit and will be devoured in no time.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cooked chicken: Leftover roast chicken, poached chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken all work.
- Bread: I used a whole ciabatta but baguette, sourdough or a country loaf are good options too.
- Mayonnaise. I like using two types of mayo for chicken salad. Fluffier mayo like Helmann’s as well as a tangier, version. Kewpie mayo is also delicious in this recipe.
- Greek yogurt / Sour cream.
- Lemon juice.
- Fresh avocado.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make chicken salad
- Prepare the chicken: Shred cooked and cooled chicken using two forks or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. If you are cooking the chicken specifically for the sandwich, I would suggest roasting chicken bone-in chicken breasts seasoned generously with salt and pepper until golden brown and cooked through for the maximum amount of chicken flavor. Poaching the breasts in chicken stock will also work.
- Combine salad ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, mix the mayonnaise, yogurt/sour cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper together. The dressing should be creamy, tangy and well-seasoned. If you prefer to add a little sweetness, a drizzle of honey works well. Add the shredded chicken and any mix-ins you prefer to the dressing and mix well.
- Assemble the sandwich: Slice a ciabatta or other loaf of your choice down the center. Drizzle with olive oil or brush with melted butter then toast in a large, hot pan until golden brown. Top the bottom piece of bread with a layer of lettuce. Pile on the chicken salad and top with sliced avocado. Season with salt and pepper then top with the remaining bread. Slice into portions and serve.
How long does chicken salad last?
Chicken salad will last for 3-4 days if kept covered in the fridge. I wouldn’t recommend freezing it as the mayonnaise can split once thawed.
What can I add to chicken salad?
For added texture and flavor, any of the following mix-ins can be added. Simply dice them finely and add to the chicken salad.
- Onion / Spring onion.
Family-size creamy chicken salad sandwich
For the chicken salad
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Greek yogurt / Sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sandwich
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil / melted butter
- lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado sliced
- Combine the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt/sour cream, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning. You want the dressing to be tangy, slightly sweet and well-seasoned.
- Add the chicken as well as any add-ins to the dressing and mix well.
- To assemble the sandwich, slice the bread down the center horizontally then brush with olive oil or melted butter. Toast, cut-side down in a hot pan until golden brown.
- Layer lettuce, chicken salad and sliced avocado onto the bottom piece of bread and season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining piece of bread then slice and serve.