A big Caprese sandwich with melted mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, basil pesto and fresh basil is the perfect, easy lunch for serving a crowd.
This Caprese sandwich is the easy lunch of my dreams. Not only is it perfect for feeding my family but it literally takes 5 minutes for me to prep before the whole thing goes into the oven. The cheese melts, the tomato gets a little roasty and finished with a quick basil pesto, fresh fior di latte (or buffalo mozzarella), it’s the kind of sandwich you will be craving for days to come!
Ingredients for Caprese sandwich
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Bread. I used a whole ciabatta but you can use any bread you prefer.
- Mozzarella. I used both low-moisture mozzarella and fresh mozzarella. Buffalo or Fior di Latte are both good options.
- Basil Pesto.
How to make a Caprese sandwich
Halve a ciabatta loaf then drizzle with olive oil. Grill the bread on a hot grill pan/skillet until toasted. Layer grated mozzarella and tomatoes on the bottom half of the bread and place under your oven’s preheated grill/broiler. Allow to cook until the cheese has melted then remove from the oven. Top with fresh mozzarella, basil pesto and basil leaves. Sandwich with the top half of the ciabatta, slice and serve.
How to make easy basil pesto
Combine fresh basil leaves, garlic, nuts (pine nuts, almonds or cashews work well) with olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt in a blender/food processor and blend until smooth.
- Family-size creamy chicken salad sandwich
- Easy salami sandwich
- Steak sandwich with goat’s cheese butter
Melted Caprese sandwich
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella / fior di latte
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- Pre-heat the grill of the oven.
- Split the ciabatta in half and drizzle with olive oil. Toast under the grill until golden brown.
- Spread the pesto onto the bottom half of the bread and top with the grated mozzarella and tomatoes. Season the tomatoes then place under the grill again until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven then top with the fresh mozzarella, basil leaves (optional) and more pesto.
- Top with the top half of the bread, slice and serve.