This rich, aromatic potato curry is an easy and delicious meatless recipe. Serve with roti and yogurt for a fantastic weeknight dinner.
Table of Contents
How to make potato curry
- Potatoes: Peel potatoes and slice into chunks. When using medium potatoes I slice each potato into 6 chunks. Parboil the potatoes in salted water then drain and set aside.
- Curry: Cook onion, garlic and ginger in a large pot until soft and fragrant. Add curry spices and cook for another minute. Pour in canned tomatoes then add the potatoes. Stir to coat the potatoes in the spices then add stock. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Reduce the temperature and allow to simmer until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve: Serve the curry with roti or naan bread, yogurt and finely chopped chillies.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing: I don’t recommend freezing curries with potato in. The potato can change texture and become watery and mushy. However, if you aren’t worried about the texture, this curry can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months and thawed in the fridge before being reheated gently.
- Make ahead: This curry can be made up to 2 days in advance. Most curries are actually much better the following day. Keep covered in the fridge and reheat gently in on the stove before serving.
- Easy cauliflower tikka masala curry
- Butternut squash curry
- Cauliflower korma curry
- Easy weeknight chicken curry
Easy potato curry
This rich, aromatic potato curry is an easy and delicious meatless recipe. Serve with roti and yogurt for a fantastic weeknight dinner.Print Pin Rate
- 1½ kg (3lbs) potatoes
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cups stock/broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roti / naan bread
- plain yogurt
- chopped chillies
- Peel the potatoes and chop into bite-size chunks. Place the potatoes in a large pot, top with water and season with salt. Bring the water up to a boil and parboil for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Saute the onions, garlic and ginger in a large pot until soft and fragrant. Add the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar then cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir to coat in the sauce.
- Pour in the stock then season to taste. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the curry with roti, yogurt and chopped chillies.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 1119mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 35644IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 3mg