Crispy, golden pork schnitzel is an easy and delicious dinner recipe. Served with creamy mashed potatoes and vegetables it’s a great family dinner.
How to make schnitzel
- Pork – Slice pork tenderloin/pork fillet into 5cm medallions. Place the pork in between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and thin out with a meat mallet or rolling pin. You want the meat to be as thin as possible so it cooks quickly.
- Breading – Beat eggs and place into a shallow bowl. In another bowl, season flour with salt and pepper and finally in a third bowl place breadcrumbs and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Dip the pork first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs. You can repeat the egg and breadcrumbs step if you want an even crispier end result.
- Frying – Fry the pork in 1-2cm of vegetable oil until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and allow to drain on kitchen paper before serving.
- Baking: Alternatively, place the breaded schnitzels on a sheet pan then drizzle with a tablespoon of oil. Place in a 220ºC/430ºF preheated oven and allow to bake for 10 minutes on one side, carefully flip over and bake for another 10 minutes on the other side until both sides are golden brown and crisp.
What to serve with pork schnitzel
- Parmesan garlic mashed potatoes
- Easy spicy garlic roasted broccoli
- Creamed spinach stuffed butternut squash
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Crispy Pork Schnitzel
- 500 g (1lb) Pork tenderloin / Pork fillet Sliced into 5cm medallions
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup oil
- Place pork medallions in between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Place flour, salt, paprika and garlic powder into a wide bowl suitable for dipping the pork in. Whisk eggs into a second bowl and combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and oregano into another.
- Coat the pork first into the flour, then in the beaten eggs and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1-2cm (½ inch) vegetable oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- Carefully lay the pork into the hot oil and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the cooked schnitzel from the pan and allow to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with lemon wedges and sides of your choice.