Super cheesy bolognese baked gnocchi is a delicious, comforting dinner recipe the whole family will love and can be made ahead.
Tips for making baked gnocchi
- Use shop-bought gnocchi. Fresh gnocchi is too tender and is much better served as is with a sauce. Shop-bought gnocchi is firmer and can stand up to the double cooking time.
- Boil the gnocchi in plenty of salted water until it floats. Boiling the gnocchi before it bakes means that it is well-cooked and that it doesn’t have to bake for very long.
- After combining with the bolognese sauce, top with plenty of mozzarella and place in a hot oven. Bake until golden and bubbling.
- Allow the bolognese baked gnocchi to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Making ahead and freezing
- Make ahead instructions: The gnocchi can be boiled and combined with the bolognese a day in advance. Keep covered in the fridge before baking. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days then reheated in the oven until hot.
- Freezing instructions: Assemble the baked gnocchi in a foil container. Wrap with two layers of foil then freeze for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen until hot throughout and bubbling.
- Spinach artichoke baked gnocchi
- Lamb ragu with cauliflower gnocchi
- Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup
- Baked Caprese Gnocchi
Bolognese baked gnocchi
- 3 cups bolognese sauce
- 1 kg (2lbs) gnocchi
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese grated
- Make bolognese according to recipe instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook until it floats. Strain the gnocchi then add to the bolognese.
- Transfer to a casserole dish. Top with mozzarella then place in the oven.
- Bake the gnocchi for 10-15 minutes until the hot and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.